If don’t want Edge to keep track of your browsing activity, you can make it clear the history on exit. i.e., when you use the Edge browser window. This is particularly helpful if you are using a public computer or sharing your browser with others and don’t want them to see your online activity. This article takes you through the steps of configuring the Edge browser to clear history on exit. Let’s get started.
Clear history on exit in Microsoft Edge
Unlike in Chrome, on Edge, you can use the built-in option to automatically delete history when you close the browser Windows. Follow the below steps to learn how.
Step 1: Open the Microsoft Edge browser.
Step 2: Click on the Menu > Settings option.
Step 3: Go to the Privacy, search, and services sidebar tab.
Step 4: Click on the “Choose what to clear every time you close the browser” option.
Step 5: Toggle ON the Browsing History option
Step 6: Optionally, enable the Download History and Cookies and other site data options.
That’s it. From now on, every time you close the browser, Edge will automatically clear the browsing history.
Clear history on exit in Edge — Registry method
You can also delete browsing history on exit in Edge from the Registry. This method is helpful if your system has multiple users and want this option to be enabled for all of them.
- Open the Registry Editor.
- Go to the “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\” folder.
- Right-click on the Microsoft folder.
- Choose the New > Key option.
- Set the folder name as Edge.
- Right-click on the Edge folder.
- Choose the New > DWORD (32-bit) Value option.
- Set the value name as ClearBrowsingDataOnExit.
- Double-click on the new value.
- Change the value data to 1 from 0 and click on Ok.
- Close the Registry Editor.
- Reboot your computer.
That is all. It is that simple to clear your browsing history on exit in Edge. I hope it helps.
If you are stuck or need help, send an email, and I will try to help as much as possible.
Related Edge tutorials:
- How to hide Bing chat icon in Edge
- How to delete saved passwords in Edge
- How to disable save screenshots of site you visit feature in Edge
- How to disable tab preview in Edge
- How to turn on or off vertical tabs in Edge
- How to open Edge browser from Command Prompt
- How to remove quick links and news from New Tab in Edge
- How to reset Edge browser
- More Edge browser tutorials