Is built-in spell-check interfering with your writing or work? Here are the steps to disable spell checking in the new Edge Chromium browser.
Just like any other web browser, the new Edge Chromium browser includes a built-in spell checker. This functionality is not only included but is also enabled by default. When it is enabled, it actively scans whatever you are typing and highlights any and all spelling errors. By right-clicking on a spelling error, you can correct it by selecting an appropriate suggestion. Of course, if the word is correct and Edge is incorrectly identifying it as an error, you can add that specific word to the Edge dictionary. Once added, it will no longer show what specific words as an error.
As good as the built-in spelling checker is, it can be a bit of a hassle from time to time. This is especially true if the spell checker is consistently flagging your words. For example, it happens quite often when writing other languages in English. In addition to that, if you are using some other third-party spell checker tool, you don’t need the built-in one.
In any case, if you are not using the Edge spell checker, follow the below steps to disable the Edge spell check feature.
Note: The below steps are only applicable to the Edge Chromium browser and not to the old Edge browser.
Steps to Disable Spell Checking in Edge
To disable the spell checking feature in the Edge browser, all you have to do is toggle an option and you are good to go. Just follow the steps as-is.
- Open Edge Chromium browser
- Go to Settings
- Select Language on the left panel
- Toggle switch under Check Spelling to OFF
1. First thing, open the Edge browser if it is not already opened. You can do that by searching for it in the Start Menu or by double-clicking on the desktop icon.
2. In the Edge browser, click on the “Menu” icon (three horizontal icons) and then click on the “Settings” option.
3. As soon as you click on the option, the Edge Settings page will open. Here, select the “Languages” option on the left panel. This is where all the language-related options reside, including the spell checking feature.
4. Once you are here, on the right panel, toggle the switch(s) under “Check Spelling” to OFF. Depending on how many languages you’ve installed in the Edge browser, you might see multiple options. Just turn them all off.
That is it. You’ve successfully disabled spell checking in the Edge browser. If you ever want to reverse the process and enable spell checking, just follow the same steps but toggle the switch(s) to ON position in step 4.
I hope that helps. If you are stuck or need some help, comment below and I will try to help as much as possible. If you like this article, do check out how to change the Edge search engine to Google and how to install IDM install in the Edge browser.