Internet Download Manager is one of the most popular and awesome download accelerators for Windows. One of the best thing about IDM is that it supports almost all the major browsers to capture and accelerate downloads. Since the new Chromium Edge browser is still in development, there is no official IDM extension yet. However, you can still install IDM extension in Edge Chromium browser. Let me show you how.
Since the new Edge browser is built on Chromium, you can install Chrome extensions in it. As such, you can install IDM Chrome extension in the Edge Chromium browser and it works flawlessly. Until IDM devs release the official IDM extension for Edge Chromium browser, you can use the below hack to install IDM extension in the new Edge Chromium browser.
Install IDM Extension in Edge Chromium Browser
There are two ways to install IDM extension in the Chromium Edge browser. I will show the two methods. Both methods work the same. So, follow the one you are comfortable with.
Method #1: Download IDM Extension for Edge Chromium from Chrome Extension Store
The easiest way to install IDM extension in the new chromium edge browser is to download it from the Chrome web store. Now, if you go and search for the extension in the Chrome web store, you will not find it. Since IDM automatically installs the extension on all supported browsers, the developer chose to hide the extension in the Chrome store. To find the extension, you need to know the extension page URL.
1. First, you need to enable the necessary options to install Chrome extensions on Edge Chromium. To do that, click on the Menu icon and select “Extensions” option.
2. In the Extensions page, enable both “Developer Mode” and “Allow extensions from other stores” options appearing on the bottom left corner.
3. Next, go to the IDM extension page and click on the “Add to Chrome” button.
4. You will see an information prompt. Click on the “Add extension” button to install the extension.
That is all. You’ve installed the IDM extension in Edge Chromium. From now on, the IDM extension in Edge Chromium will work just like in the Chrome browser.
Method #2: Force IDM to Install Extension in Edge Browser
As an alternative, you can also force IDM to install the extension. To do that, you have to add the browser in IDM. Let me show you how.
1. First, open Internet Download Manager by clicking on the taskbar icon or by searching for it in the Start menu. In the application, click on the “Options” button.
2. In the Options window, go to the “General” tab and click on the “Add Browser” button.
3. You will see an information window, click on the “Ok” button to continue.
4. In the browse window, go to the following location, select “msedge.exe” file and click on the “Open” button.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge Dev\Application
5. In the main window, make sure all the browsers are selected and click on the “Ok” button to save the changes.
That is all. It is that simple to add IDM extension to Edge Chromium browser.
Comment below if you need any help in case of any problems.