In case you are wondering, here are steps to check if your laptop has precision touchpad support.
Unlike the old Windows with no proper touchpad drivers, the new Windows 10 has precision drivers out of the box. Precision drives provide superior functionality while being deeply integrated into Windows 10. Compared to the older touchpads, a precision touchpad is precise and easy to use. The gesture support is especially seamless and leagues above the older generation.
Though the precision drivers are awesome out of the box, to use those drivers you need to have a precision touchpad. Without a precision touchpad, Windows will default to generic touchpad drivers. In addition to that, more often than not, you are forced to install the touchpad drivers provided by the laptop manufacturer to get extended functionality like gesture support.
Generally, most modern Windows 10 laptops are compatible with precision drivers. This is especially true for laptops with glass surface touchpads. That being said, if you are unsure whether your laptop has a precision touchpad or not, you can check it via the Windows 10 Settings app.
In this simple guide, let me show how you can check if your laptop has a precision touchpad.
How to Check Precision Touchpad Support on Windows 10
You can find if your laptop has a precision touchpad or not directly from the Settings app itself. Here’s how.
- Open the Settings app.
- Click on the “Devices” option.
- Select “Touchpad” on the sidebar.
- You will see “Your PC has a precision touchpad” on the right page if your laptop has a precision touchpad.
1. As I said before, you can check precision touchpad support from the Settings app. So, open the Settings app by searching for it in the Start menu. Alternatively, press the “Win + I” keyboard shortcut to open it.
2. The touchpad settings will be found on the Device page. So, click on the “Devices” option in the Settings app.
3. On the sidebar, click on the “Touchpad” option. This is where you will find all the details about your laptop’s touchpad and its various settings. For instance, you can change touchpad sensitivity, modify three-finger tap to middle click, etc from this page.
4. If your laptop has a precision touchpad, you will see the “Your PC has a precision touchpad” message at the top. If you don’t see this message, it means that you only have a regular touchpad and you will not see any advanced options like precision gestures, etc.
That is all. It is that simple to check for precision touchpad support on a Windows 10 laptop.
Important Note: Do keep in mind that even if you have a precision touchpad, you need precision drivers to use all the features of it. The good thing is, you don’t have to worry about the drivers because Windows 10 will download them for you automatically. When needed, you can download them directly from the laptop manufacturer’s website too.
I hope that helps. If you are stuck or need some help, comment below and I will try to help as much as possible.