If you’ve accidentally deleted a OneNote document or section, you can easily recover it. Follow these steps to view and restore delete OneNote notes in Windows 10.
OneNote is one of the best note-taking application that can be used by almost anyone. In fact, it is my regular application to take all kinds of notes and clipping interesting web articles. What makes OneNote the best is that it is not only completely free but has some of the best note organizing features.
All in all, if you are a regular OneNote user, it is only natural that you will delete a few notes or even complete sections of a particular notebook from time to time. When you do that, there will be times when you need to recover to view deleted notes. Thankfully, OneNote stores all your deleted notes for a time to give you a chance to recover them. This feature saved my back more times than I’d like to admit.
So, if you are ever in the same situation, here’s how to view or recover deleted notes in OneNote in Windows 10.
Note: The below steps are only applicable to OneNote UWP app (download from Microsoft Store) in Windows 10. If you are using the old OneNote 2016 desktop version, take a look at the official doc.
Steps to Restore Delete OneNote Notes
It is rather easy to recover deleted notes in OneNote. Tough the option might be harder to find for new users, it is fairly simple. Follow the steps and you should be good.
1. First, search for OneNote in the start menu and open it. If you’ve pinned it to the taskbar, you can also click on it.
2. After opening OneNote, go to the “View” tab appearing on the top navigation bar.
3. Next, click on the “Deleted Notes” option appearing in the secondary navigation menu.
4. The above action will open the delete notes pane. Here, you will see all the individual notes and sections.
5. To restore a single note, right-click on the Note and select “Restore to” option, select the notebook you’d like to restore the note to and click on the “Restore” button.
6. To restore an entire section, right-click on the section and select “Restore to” option, select the notebook you’d like to restore the section to and click on the “Restore” button.
That is it. You’ve restored the deleted notes in OneNote. Once you are done, click on the “Exit” button appearing on the top-right corner to exit the deleted notes pane.
Keep mind that OneNote will only keep the deleted notes for up to 60 days from the day of deletion. If you can’t see your deleted note then in all probability, it is deleted permanently.
Hope that helps. If you are stuck or need some help, comment below and I will try to help as much as possible.
If you like this article, do check out how to force delete locked files in Windows 10.