If you are giving away or disposing of your system, it is important that you unlink Windows 10 license from Microsoft account. Here's how.
Starting from Windows 10, Microsoft allowed users to link their Windows 10 license to their Microsoft account. One of the best things about linking Windows 10 license with Microsoft account is that it automatically activates Windows when you reinstall it on the same machine. All you have to do is log into your Microsoft account in Windows 10. Simply put, you no longer have to enter the product key manually each and every time.
Though linking the license is pretty easy, it is not so easy if you want to unlink Windows 10 license from Microsoft account. Unlinking the license is pretty important if you want to donate your PC/laptop, sell it second hand, or dispose of it. Without further ado, let me show how you can unlink Windows 10 license from Microsoft account.
Steps to Unlike Windows 10 License from Microsoft Account
To unlink Windows 10 license, you have to perform two major steps. That is, switch to a local account and then delete the computer entry from your Microsoft account. To make things easier, I divided the guide into two sections. Just follow the steps as is and you will be done in no time.
Note: Before proceeding, make sure you know your computer name. This is especially important if you have multiple computer links to the same Microsoft account.
1] Switch to Local Account
1. First, make sure that you are logged into your main Windows 10 account that is linked to the Microsoft account.
2. Next, open the Settings app by pressing Win + I. Now, go to the "Accounts → Your Info" tab. On the right page, click on the "Sign in with local account instead" link.
3. You will be prompted with a confirmation window, click on the "Next" button.
4. Next, type in the password or PIN to verify and press "Enter".
5. Now, set a new username, password, and hint. Click on the "Next" button.
6. In this window, click on the "Sign out and finish" button. This will sign you out.
Sign back in with the password you set in step 5. Once you are logged in, follow the second section.
2] Remove Computer from Microsoft Account
After singing out, you can now proceed to safely unlink from Microsoft account.
1. All the linked devices are listed on a single page in your Microsoft account. So, head over to this page.
2. You might be prompted for a password or PIN. Authenticate yourself and continue to the next step.
3. Find your computer in the list of devices and click on the "Manage" link.
4. Under the computer name, you will see a drop-down menu called "Manage". Click on it and then click on the "Remove PC/Laptop" option.
You might see a warning or confirmation window, accept it and the PC or laptop will be unlinked from your Microsoft account.
That is it. You are all done. I hope that helps. If you are stuck or need some help, comment below and I will try to help as much as possible.