Of all the weird symbols, the degree symbol is widely used for a variety of reasons like to write temperature, angles, etc. The thing is, in the Word document it is not that obvious how to type the degree symbol. Sure you can search for the symbol and copy paste it in the document. However, knowing how to insert a degree symbol without using third-party tools or other tricks is very useful. So, if you ever need, here’s how you can insert degree symbol in your word document.
Type Degree ° Symbol in Word
There are multiple ways to insert a degree symbol in a word document. In this post, I will show the three most simple and sure ways to type a degree symbol. Follow the method you like. The good thing is, all three methods are pretty easy to remember.
1. Word Degree Symbol Keyboard Shortcut
The easiest way to type a degree symbol in a word document is to use the keyboard shortcut. When you want to type a degree symbol, place the cursor where you need it in the word document and press the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Shift + @ and then Space.
In case you are wondering, the Space key should be pressed immediately after the first shortcut. Yes, it is a weird shortcut, but it gets the job done. So, all is good.
2. Use the Insert Symbol Option in Word
Word has a dedication section to insert a variety of symbols including the degree symbol. All you have to do is find the symbol and insert it.
1. Open the Word document and place the cursor where you want to insert the degree symbol. Next, click on the Insert tab and then click on the Symbol -> More Symbols option.
2. The above action will open the Symbols window. Here, find the degree symbol, select it and click on the Insert button. You can find the degree symbol right underneath the alphabets. You don’t have to scroll far down.
3. As soon as you press the Insert button, the degree symbol will be inserted.
When you select a symbol, the window will show the corresponding keyboard shortcut, if available. If you want to, you can assign or change the shortcut by clicking on the Shortcut Key button.
3. Copy Degree Symbol from Windows Character Map Tool
Just as Word has a Symbols feature, Windows has a built-in tool called Character Map that shows you a list of all kinds of symbols. Let me show you how to use the character map tool to insert degree symbol in a Word document.
1. First, open the start menu, search for Character Map and click on it. Alternatively, you can also use the command
charmap in the Run dialog box.
2. The above action will open the Character Map tool. Here, select the Advanced View checkbox. Next, type degree in the “Search for:” field and click on the Search button.
3. As soon as you click the button, the Character Map tool will show the degree symbol. Now, select the degree symbol and click on the Select button.
4. Next, click on the Copy button to copy the degree symbol to the clipboard.
Once copied, you can paste the degree symbol anywhere you want, including in the Word document.
That is all. It is that simple to type degree symbol in a Word document. If you have any questions or to share your own methods, comment below.