Can't find the Chrome theme of your dreams? Why not make your own? Here's a simple way to make your own custom Google Chrome theme.
Chrome has a ton of themes. To find and install a theme in Chrome, all you have to do is go to the Chrome store, search for a theme and install the theme you like by clicking a button. Though there is a wide variety of themes, there is no guarantee that you will find the theme of your liking. Not to mention, there is no guarantee that the theme developer will update the theme to meet newer version standards or design principles as and when needed.
To deal with all of this, Google recently added new options within the Google Chrome browser that lets you chose some predefined themes or make your own theme with custom colors and backgrounds.
So, without further ado, let me show how you can make your own Google Chrome theme.
Note: To follow the steps below, you should be using Chrome v78 or above. To find your Google Chrome version, go to "Menu → Help → About Google Chrome". You will see the version number right under the Google Chrome logo.
Make a Custom Google Chrome Theme
Unlike all the other options which could be found in the Settings page, the theme customization option is directly available on the New Tab page. This makes it quite easy to create new themes for Google Chrome or just switch between predefined themes with just a few clicks.
1. First, open the Chrome browser if it is not already opened.
2. Now, open a new tab. On the bottom right corner, you will see a new option called "Customize". Click on it.
3. The above action will open the Customization panel. Go to the "Colors and Themes" tab appearing on the left panel. Here, select the color theme of your choice. In my case, I'm selecting a dark theme.
As soon as you select the theme, you can see a preview of how Chrome looks like. If you don't like any of the predefined color schemes, click on the first option (the one with dropper icon). This opens the Windows color picker where you can pick the color of your choice.
Click on the "Done" button to save the changes and look at your new theme.
4. If you want to, you can also set a new tab image or wallpaper. To do that, click on the Customize button, go to the "Background" tab and select the wallpaper of your choice.
5. The chosen wallpaper will be applied instantly.
6. By default, Google Chrome shows either your most visited sites or custom shortcuts on the new tab page. You can customize them too. Just go to the "Shortcuts" tab and select the option of your choice. In my case, I chose to hide shortcuts.
7. This is how it looks like once you hide the shortcuts on the new tab page.
As you can see, it is pretty simple to create your own theme in Google Chrome. Unlike in the previous versions, you don't have to deal with CSS, Manifest files, etc.
Hope that helps. If you are stuck or need some help, comment below and I will try to help as much as possible. If you like this article, check out how to automatically close Google Chrome downloads bar and how to remove tab hover cards in Google Chrome.