Don't have enough space in the C drive? You can install Xbox Game Pass for PC games in another drive or partition. Here's how.
Microsoft recently announced the much-awaited Xbox Game Pass for PC. The Game Pass for PC contains over 100 games. In case you don't know, along with the constant presence of all Microsoft Studio titles like Halo, Gears, Forza, Outer Worlds, etc.., the game catalog keeps refreshing with small to big AAA third-party titles. This makes it so that as long as you are subscribed, you will always have new games to play. For example, I never got to play the Middle Earth: Shadow of War back when it is released. Thanks to the Game Pass for PC, I quickly installed the game a week ago and as of writing this, I'm almost done.
One of the best things about Game Pass for PC is that as of writing this, you can subscribe to it for $1 for the first month. That's a good deal.
Now, as most of you know, games nowadays take a lot of space. It can be anywhere from a couple of gigs to nearly 100GB. For instance, the Shadow of War game I talked earlier takes up over 70GB. As you can guess, that's not the kind of space you can spare in the C drive. Thankfully, you can install Game Pass games in another drive or secondary drive. It is super easy to do. Let me show you how.
Before Moving Forward
Before you can install Game Pass games on another drive, there are a couple of things you need to do.
- First, you need to be subscribed to the Xbox Game Pass.
- Install the new Xbox app for Windows 10.
- Make sure the drive or partition you want to install games is in the NTFS format. Though not necessary, move or remove any existing files or folders in the target drive or partition to another location.
- Make sure you know the drive letter of the drive where you want to install the games.
Once you have the above things in order, proceed to the next section.
Steps to Install Game Pass Games in Another Drive
The first thing we need to do is tell Windows to install new apps in the target drive or partition. Once you do that, you can install Game Pass games in that specific drive.
1. First, open the PC Settings app by pressing the keyboard shortcut Win + I. In the Settings app, go to the "System → Storage" page. On the right page, click on the "Change where new content is saved" link under More Storage Settings section.
2. Under the "New apps will save to" option, select your target drive from the drop-down menu and click on the "Apply" button. In my case, I want to save the games on my G drive. So, I selected that drive from the drop-down menu.
3. Once you've done that, open the Xbox app by searching for it in the start menu.
4. After opening the Xbox app, find the game you want to install and click on it. Next, click on the "Install" button. In my case, I want to install Plague Tale: Innocence game.
5. By default, your C drive will be selected as the install location. To change that, click on the "Change" option.
6. Here, scroll down until you find the secondary drive and select it. You will see a little check mark after selecting it. Click on the "Install" button.
That is it. As soon as you click on the install button, the Xbox app will download and install the game in that drive.
Depending on your internet connection speed and the game size, it can take quite some time to complete the installation procedure.
I hope that helps. If you are stuck or need some help, comment below and I will try to help as much as possible. If you like this article, do check out how to move downloads folder to another drive to free C drive space.