Windows 10 comes with a lot of fonts pre-installed. However, there will be times, like when you are designing something or need a specific font to view a specific document, where you need to install additional fonts. Fortunately, Windows 10 makes it quite easy to install fonts. In fact, there are multiple ways to do it. Without further ado, let me show you how to download and install new fonts in Windows 10.
Install Fonts from Microsoft Store
Microsoft Store has a dedicated page where you can download and install new fonts in Windows 10. One of the best things the store is that just as with the regular applications, you can install any font you want that is available in the store with just a single click.
1. First, open the Microsoft Store by searching for it in the start menu. You can also click on the Microsoft Store icon on the taskbar.
2. Once the store has been opened, search for "fonts" in the search bar and click on the "Fonts" option. This action will open the Fonts page in the Store app.
3. In the fonts page, find the font you want to install and click on it. In my case, I want to install Arial Nova font. So, I clicked on it.
4. Now, click on the "Get" button.
5. As soon as you click on the button, the Store page with get the necessary licenses, downloads, and installs the target font.
6. Once installed, you will see a notification telling you the same.
7. To verify, click on the Manage button in the store page and you will be taken to the Fonts page in the Settings app. Here, search for the font using the search bar and you should see the newly installed font.
Drag and Drop Method
In the newer versions of Windows 10, i.e v1903 or higher, you can simply drag and drop the fonts in the settings app to install them. To install fonts in this way, follow the below steps and you should be good.
Note: Before doing anything, make sure that you've already downloaded the font you want to install. You can download a variety of fonts for free from Google Fonts website. Also, you should be using Windows 10 version 1903 or higher.
1. If you've downloaded the fonts from the internet in a zip file then extract them to a folder on your desktop. In my case, I've downloaded Fira Sans font from the Google Fonts website.
2. Now, press Win + I to open the Settings app. In the Settings app, go to "Personalization -> Fonts" page. On the right panel, you will see a special section where you can drag and drop the fonts.
3. So, select all the fonts you want to install and simply drag and drop them into that special area. This action will automatically import and install the target fonts.
4. To verify, search for the font using the search bar and you should see the font(s) in the list.
Install New Fonts in Windows 10 Via File Explorer
You can also install fonts in Windows 10 via the old fashioned way. i.e, using the file explorer's context menu.
1. First, download the fonts you want to install and have them in a single folder. For instance, I've downloaded the Source Sans Pro from Google Fonts and extracted into a folder.
2. Now, select all the fonts in the folder, right-click on it and select "Install" or "Install for all users" option.
Note: If you select "Install", the font will be installed only for your user account. On the other hand, as the name suggests, "Install for all users" option will install the target font for all the users on your system.
3. As soon as you select the appropriate option, Windows will install the fonts.
4. To verify the font installation, go to the Fonts page in the Settings app and search for the font you just installed.
That is all. It is that simple to install fonts in Windows 10.