The built-in voice recorder app in Windows 10 lets you record audio through your microphone. Here’s how to configure and use Voice Recorder in Windows 10.
Windows 10 comes bundled with many built-in apps, some useful and some not so much. The Voice Recorder app is one such useful app that lets you record audio through any connected microphone. One of the best things about this app is that it is very easy to use thanks to its simple user interface and no-nonsense features. In fact, compared to other voice recorder applications that require complicated setup and compatibility with different microphones and such, the built-in Windows 10 app is pretty simple in terms of its feature set.
As long as your voice recording needs are simple and you don’t require anything fancy, the Voice Recorder app in Windows 10 is a pretty good choice to record audio. This is especially true if you have never recorded audio using a voice recorder app and are just getting started.
In this quick and simple Windows 10 guide, let me show you how to record audio in Windows 10 using the built-in Voice Recorder app.
Record audio with voice recorder app
1. First, make sure a microphone is connected to your computer. If you are using a laptop, you can either use the built-in microphone or an external one.
2. Next, open the Start menu by pressing the “Start” or “Windows” key on your keyboard. In the Start menu, search for “Voice Recorder” and open it.
3. After opening the app, click on the “Microphone” icon. As soon as you do that, the app will start recording audio through the microphone.
4. Once you are done recording, click on the “Stop” button to stop recording.
5. As soon as you stop the recording, the file is automatically saved and listed in the Voice Recorder app.
6. To play the recorded audio, select the file in the middle panel and then click on the Play button on the right panel.
Manage recordings in Voice Recorder app
By default, the Voice Recorder app uses default names like Recording, Recording (2), Recording (3), etc. When you have multiple recordings, these default names can be a bit confusing to identify. In those cases, you can simply rename the recording files to better organize them. To do that, right-click on the recording in the middle panel and select the “Rename” option. Next, type the new name and press Enter.
The default save location for recorded audio files is “C:\Users\Username\Documents\Sound recordings”. Replace “Username” in the folder path with your actual Windows 10 username. Alternatively, right-click on the recording file in the voice recorder app and select the “Open file location” option to open it in the File Explorer.
The recording app also includes a basic trim tool. Using it, you can cut out the unnecessary starting and ending parts of the audio file. To do that, select the recording file in the middle panel and click on the “Trim” icon at the bottom bar.
Next, use the starting and ending sliders to set the cut out points and hit the save button.
You can either update the original file or save a copy of the edited file. In my case, I chose to update the original file. If you don’t want to mess with the original file, select the “Save a copy” option.
Finally, you can delete the recordings from the app. To do that, right-click on the recording file in the middle panel and select the “Delete” option. If you see a confirmation window, click the “Yes” button to proceed.
That is all. It is that simple to record audio using the Voice Recorder app in Windows 10.
I hope that helps. If you are stuck or need some help, comment below and I will try to help as much as possible.