Files downloaded from another computer are blocked in Windows for security reasons. Follow these steps to fix the error and unblock files.
If you use Windows for long enough, you will see the ‘This file came from another computer and might be blocked‘ error. In simple terms, this specific error happens when you try to open a file or folder in Windows. If and when you see this error, follow the below steps to fix it. Though the error sounds cryptic and ominous, it is pretty simple to fix. Let me show you how.
Table of contents:
Why am I seeing the ‘This file came from another computer and might be blocked’ error?
First, you need to understand why you face this error.
You see the “This file came from another computer and might be blocked” error when you try to open a file downloaded or transferred from another computer. For instance, if you receive an email attachment, the file might be blocked because it came from another computer.
The main reason is that when the file is not verified or not originated on your computer, Windows might block the file execution for security concerns.
Now, this doesn’t happen to every file you download or transfer. However, depending on the file type, file origin, and whether the security features can verify the file, Windows automatically triggers the security response. However, false positives can happen. Fortunately, it is easy to unblock the downloaded file and fix the ‘This File Came From Another Computer and Might Be Blocked’ error.
In fact, Windows even provides proper options to do so.
Note: The steps shown below work in Windows 8, 10, and 11.
Fix “This file came from another computer and might be blocked” error
When you download a file from another computer, Windows automatically creates a new security option for that file. You can use this option to unblock the file and fix the ‘This file came from another computer and might be blocked’ error.
- Right-click on the blocked file.
- Choose the “Properties” option.
- Go to the “General” tab.
- Uncheck the “Unblock” checkbox.
- Click the “Ok” button.
- With that, the file is unblocked and error is fixed.
- You can open the file normally.
Steps with more details:
1. To fix the error, find the blocked file, right-click on it and select the Properties option.
2. In the General tab, you will see a new option at the bottom of the window. Select the Unblock checkbox and click on the Apply button.
3. As soon as you click on the Apply button, Windows will unblock the file. The option will disappear too. Click on the Ok button to close the window.
That is it. You’ve unblocked the file downloaded from another computer. From now on, you will not see the “this file came from another computer and might be blocked” error.
Fix the error from Group Policy Editor
As an alternative, you can also use the group policy editor to unblock files. This method is useful if the above method did not work or if you are constantly finding yourself unblocking files. Keep in mind that this method might not work for all the file types and origins. However, it should work most cases.
If you are wondering, when you change the policy, Windows no longer blocks most files downloaded from other computers. Which means, you will not see the error in most cases. So, only use this method if you know what you are doing.
Note: Group Policy Editor is only available to Pro and Enterprise users.
1. To open Group Policy Editor, open the run dialogue box, type
gpedit.msc and click on the Ok button. You can also search for the same in the start menu.
2. In the group policy editor, you will see a bunch of folders on the left panel. Go to the following location.
User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Attachment Manager.
3. Find and double-click on the “Do not preserve zone information in file attachments“ policy on the right panel of the Group Policy Editor.
4. Select “Enabled” in the policy properties window and press on the Apply and Ok buttons to save policy changes.
5. To apply the changed policies, reboot Windows.
That is all. Windows should no longer block files downloaded or transferred from other computers.
As you can see, it is easy to fix ‘this file came from another computer and might be blocked’ error in Windows. If you are facing permission issues with files or folders, follow this guide — fix you currently don’t have permission to access this file error.
I hope this simple and easy Windows how-to guide helped you.
If you are stuck or need some help, comment below, and I will try to help as much as possible.