While Microsoft Store works fine for the vast majority of the time, it can occasionally encounter issues where apps get stuck during the download process. If that’s the case, follow the troubleshooting steps below to find the reason and fix the problem.
Compared to its initial days, the Microsoft Store has been improved and is being improved to make installing, updating, and uninstalling as seamless as possible. In fact, downloading apps from the Microsoft Store is one of the most secure things you can do.
However, there are instances when apps may become stuck during the download in the Microsoft Store. There are multiple reasons for this like corrupted store files, sudden unplanned system shutdowns, outdated store files, issues with your Microsoft account, and more. The good thing is, it is very easy to troubleshoot the reason for this problem and fix it quickly.
So, without delay, let me show you the steps you should take to resolve the issue where apps are stuck downloading in Microsoft Store.
Fix Microsoft Store stuck downloading apps
When Microsoft Store is stuck downloading apps, follow the below suggestions to fix the problem.
- Refresh Microsoft Store App Login
- Repair the Microsoft Store app
- Reset the Microsoft Store app
- Run Windows Store apps troubleshooter
- Reinstall the Microsoft Store app
Let’s see each suggestion in detail:
1. Refresh Microsoft Store App Login
If your login credentials are not correct or corrupted in Microsoft Store, it can get stuck downloading apps. To fix it, you have to log out and log back into Microsoft Store. Here’s how to do it.
First, open the Microsoft Store app by searching for it in the Start menu or by clicking on the Store icon on the taskbar. Once it opens, click on your account icon on the top bar. This will open the user options menu.
Here, click/tap on the “Sign out” option. If you see a confirmation prompt, click the “Yes” or “Sign out” button.
After signing out, click the user icon again and click/tap on the “Sign in” button.
Microsoft Store will prompt you to select an account to sign in. Select the account of your choice and you are signed back in.
Next, close and reopen the app. After that, try downloading apps from Microsoft Store.
2. Repair the Microsoft Store app
If some store app files are outdated or corrupted, you can restore them by repairing the Microsoft Store app which in turn fixes the app getting stuck in the download process.
Launch the Windows 11 Settings app using the Windows key + I keyboard shortcut. After that, navigate to the “Apps” tab on the sidebar. Next, click on the “Installed apps” option. As you can assume, this is the page where Windows lists all the installed applications.
Find the Microsoft Store entry in the list of installed apps and click on the three-dotted menu icon next to it. Select “Advanced options” from the menu.
Scroll down the Microsoft Store app settings page and click/tap on the “Repair” button.
With that, the Microsoft Store app is Repaired. You will see a small checkmark next to the Repair button. After that, try downloading apps from Microsoft Store.
3. Reset the Microsoft Store app
After repairing, you can also try resetting the Microsoft Store app. Resetting completely resets all the store files. That means, if some store files are missing, corrupted, or outdated, resetting will fix the app and solves the apps getting stuck in the download process.
Open the Settings app by clicking the icon on the taskbar or pressing the Windows key + I keyboard shortcut. Go to the “Apps > Installed apps” page. Here, find the Microsoft Store app entry, click the menu icon next to it, and click/tap on the “Advanced options” option.
Now, scroll down and press the “Reset” button twice to reset the Microsoft Store app.
After resettling, try to download apps from the Microsoft Store.
4. Run Windows Store apps troubleshooter
When there is a problem with any store app, including the Microsoft Store app, you can use the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter to find and fix the problem. Microsoft Store getting stuck downloading apps is no different. Here’s how to find and run the Windows Store apps troubleshooter.
- Open the Windows 11 Settings app.
- Navigate to the “System” tab on the sidebar.
- Scroll down and click/tap on the “Troubleshooters” option.
- Click/tap on the “Other troubleshooters” option.
- Scroll down and click the “Run” button next to “Windows Store Apps.”
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- Close the troubleshooter window after following the instructions.
- With that, the apps stuck in the download process is fixed.
5. Reinstall the Microsoft Store app
Finally, reinstall the Microsoft Store app to fix the apps getting stuck in the download process.
- Open PowerShell as admin.
- Type “Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore | Remove-AppxPackage” and press Enter.
- With that, the Microsoft Store app is reinstalled.
After reinstalling the Microsoft Store app, you can try and download apps from it.
Related Microsoft Store how-to guides:
- How to find Microsoft Store apps location in Windows 11
- Best free games on Microsoft Store
- How to clear the Microsoft Store cache
- How to uninstall Microsoft Store apps
- FIX: You’ll need a new app to open this ms-windows-store Error
- How to disable automatic updates in Microsoft Store
- Fix 0x80244018 Error in Microsoft Store
- How to disable or block Microsoft Store
That is all. Follow all the suggestions above and the problem of the Microsoft Store app not being able to download apps or getting stuck downloading apps will be fixed.
I hope this simple and easy Windows how-to guide helped you.
If you are stuck or need help, send an email, and I will try to help as much as possible.