Minecraft Windows 10 Edition saves all worlds in a single folder. Follow these steps to find Minecraft Windows 10 Edition save location.
Minecraft is one of those games where you can spend hours doing a wide range of things like building, enchanting, crafting, fighting, exploring, etc. There are a variety of Minecraft editions to play and Windows 10 edition is one of those. If you playing the Minecraft Windows 10 edition then it is important to know the default save location of Minecraft Windows 10 Edition.
Knowing the default save location lets you manually back up all Minecraft worlds as and when needed for safekeeping. After all, nobody wants to lose a Minecraft world they spent hours, days, months, and years in making.
Additionally, the same save location is used to install the behavior and resource packs. This means that knowing the save location allows you to manually add custom made or downloaded resource and behavior packs to Minecraft.
Where are Minecraft Windows 10 Edition Save Files Located?
The Minecraft Windows 10 edition save folder is located here:
Unlike the regular Java edition, Minecraft Windows 10 edition is a store game. Which means that it has limited access to the Windows file system. As such, the default save location of Minecraft Windows 10 edition is different from the Java edition.
Like any store app, Minecraft Windows 10 edition stores the save data in its own folder inside the AppData folder.
- Press Win + R.
- Copy and paste "%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MinecraftUWP_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\games\com.mojang\minecraftWorlds" in the blank field.
- Click "Ok" or press "Enter".
- As soon as you press Enter, the Minecraft Windows 10 save folder will be opened in the File Explorer.
Steps to Find Minecraft Save Location in Windows 10
1. First, press Win + R to open the Run dialog box.
2. In the blank field, enter the below path and click on the "Ok" button.
3. The above action will open the MinecraftWorlds folder located inside the AppData folder. In this directory, you will see one or more folders with random names. The number of folders will depend on the number of Minecraft worlds you have.
For example, I have three worlds in Minecraft Windows 10 edition so there are three different folders corresponding to each world. Put simply, every Minecraft world is saved in its own folder.
4. To know which folder belongs to which Minecraft world, simply open the folder of your choice and double-click on the levelname.txt file.
5. As soon as you double-click, the file will be opened in a text editor like Notepad. In there, you will see the name of the Minecraft world.
Once you've identified the world, you can back up the entire world by simply copying the root folder. If you want to, you can add resource packs in the resouce_packs folder and behavior packs in behavior_packs folders.
That is all. It is easy to find Minecraft Windows 10 edition save location in Windows 10. Though finding the save folder is pretty easy and straightforward, you cannot change the default save folder of Windows 10 Minecraft. Mainly because it is a UWP app and has limited access to the Windows File System. That being said, as long as you remember where you can find the save folder, it shouldn't be a problem.
I hope that helps. If you are stuck or need some help, comment below and I will try to help as much as possible. If you like this article, do check out how to automatically backup Minecraft worlds to OneDrive.