This patch Tuesday, Windows 11 has a new optional update. As always, there are quite a few fixes and improvements to improve Windows 11 stability. Additionally, there are also a couple of new features that allow you to better manage optional updates. This article gives you the direct link to download KB5029351 offline installer so that you can install it even if Windows Update is causing problems or on an offline machine.
The major new feature in this update is the new “Enable optional updates” which Windows administrators control whether you want to install the optional and Controlled Feature Rollouts (CFR) updates. As for the fixes and improvements, it fixes an issue with Group Policy Service where it fails to apply the policies due to the 30 seconds wait time, new API for D3D12 Independent Devices, fix for messed up window rendering, Remote Desktop Sessions, Start menu icons, BitLocker, File Explorer, and more.
Being an optional update, you must install it manually. i.e., Windows 11 will not install it like the regular cumulative updates. To install it from the Settings app, go to the Windows Update, click on the Check for Updates button, and then click on Download & Install. Alternatively, you can also use the link given below to download the KB5029351 offline installer. Once downloaded, double-click on the installer file and follow the on-screen instructions.
Download KB5029351 offline installer
For users who prefer to download the KB5029351 offline installer, you can find it at the following link:
Once downloaded, double-click on the installer and follow the installation wizard to complete the installation process. Once done, reboot the computer to apply the changes. After rebooting you can enjoy all the goodness of the KB5029351 update.
- This update adds new functionality that affects app defaults.
- This release adds a new policy called “Enable optional updates.” Administrators can use it to configure the monthly, optional cumulative updates for commercial devices. You can also use this policy for the gradual Controlled Feature Rollouts (CFR).
- This update addresses an issue that affects the Group Policy Service. It will not wait for 30 seconds, which is the default wait time, for the network to be available. Because of this, policies are not correctly processed.
- This update adds a new API for D3D12 Independent Devices. You can use it to create multiple D3D12 devices on the same adapter.
- This update addresses an issue that affects a WS_EX_LAYERED window. The window might render with the wrong dimensions or at the wrong position. This occurs when you scale the display screen.
- This update addresses an issue that affects print jobs that are sent to a virtual print queue. They fail without an error.
- This update addresses an issue that causes high CPU use. This occurs when you enable the “fBlockNonDomain” policy.
- This update addresses an issue that affects disk partitions. The system might stop working. This occurs after you delete a disk partition and add the space from the deleted partition to an existing BitLocker partition.
- This update addresses an issue that causes Windows to fail. This occurs when you use BitLocker on a storage medium that has a large sector size.
- This update addresses an issue that affects Remote Desktop sessions. Sometimes you receive a wrong error message when you try to sign in to a session.
- This update addresses an issue that affects Start menu icons. They are missing after you sign in for the first time.
- This update addresses an issue that affects settings. They do not sync even if you turn on the toggle on the Windows Backup page in the Settings app.
- This update addresses an issue that affects the Resultant Set of Policy (RSOP). The Windows LAPS “BackupDirectory” policy setting was not being reported. This occurs when the setting is set to 1, which is “Back up to AAD.”
- The update addresses an issue that affects those who use Windows Update for Business. After you are asked to change your password at sign in, the change operation fails. Then you cannot sign in. The error code is 0xc000006d.