- As you use OneDrive, the storage space fills up over time.
- You can check your OneDrive storage limit from the Windows 11 Settings and OneDrive Windows apps.
- You can also check how much OneDrive storage is remaining from the OneDrive website and Android app.
OneDrive is one of the most popular cloud-based storage services by Microsoft, and it allows you to store and access your files at any time and from any device.
The best thing is that it is built into Windows and gives you free storage. That means you can save and sync your folders, documents, photos, and other files and access or share them as needed. However, just like any other storage service, there are limits to the amount of data that you can store on OneDrive, whether you are a free or paid user.
For example, if you are auto-uploading photo takes with your mobile phone, the number of files accumulates over time, and you will begin to notice that your OneDrive account is running low on storage space. In those cases, you may wonder how much storage you have left in OneDrive and how much more data you can store before you reach your limit.
To help you with these questions, this article shows you how to check the OneDrive storage limit in four different ways. You can follow any method of your choice to find how much storage space is remaining in your OneDrive account.
Table of contents:
- How to check OneDrive storage limit
- Things to do when OneDrive storage space is low
How to check OneDrive storage limit
Here are four easy ways to check the OneDrive storage limit. You can follow the method of your choice, and it shows the remaining space in OneDrive.
1. Using the OneDrive Windows app
If you are using the OneDrive app on Windows, you can use it to check the storage limit. Follow the below steps:
- Left-click on the OneDrive icon on the taskbar.
- Click the Settings icon in the flyout menu.
- Click the Settings option from the list.
- You will see the OneDrive storage limit in the bottom left corner.
- It shows how much space you’ve used from the available storage.
2. From OneDrive website
As you’d expect, you can check the OneDrive storage limit from the website itself. Here’s how.
First, go to the OneDrive website and log into your Microsoft account. As soon as you log in, you can see the OneDrive storage usage in the bottom right corner.
Alternatively, head over to the Manage Storage page using the URL given below to see the same OneDrive storage usage information.
3. Using Windows 11 Settings app
Rather than using a local account, if you are using your Microsoft account to log into your Windows 11 computer, you can see the OneDrive storage information in the Settings app. Here’s where and how to find it.
- Use the Windows key + I shortcut to open Settings.
- Select the Accounts tab on the sidebar.
- Expand the Microsoft Storage section.
- You will see the OneDrive storage limit under it.
- Close the Settings app.
4. Using the OneDrive Android app
Just as with the Windows app, you can also find the OneDrive storage limit using the official OneDrive Android app. Here’s how.
- Open the app menu on your Android phone.
- Find and tap on the OneDrive icon.
- Tap on the “Me” tab at the bottom.
- You will immediately see the OneDrive storage information like space left, storage limit, etc.
- You can close the OneDrive app.
Things To Do When OneDrive Storage Space Is Low
If you’re running low on OneDrive storage space, here are some things you can do:
Delete large and unnecessary files: The first thing you should do when running low on OneDrive storage space is to find large files in OneDrive and delete unnecessary ones. For example, if you’ve uploaded many media files or attachments, finding and deleting unnecessary ones will free up a lot of storage space.
Stop OneDrive sync temporarily: When low on storage space, it is better to stop OneDrive sync temporarily. That way, you don’t fill up the space unnecessarily, and it gives you some breathing room to clear files.
Archive old files: If you don’t want to delete files but still need to free up space, consider archiving them. To archive, move the files from OneDrive, and use a file compression software like 7-zip or WinRAR to compress them. This will reduce the space occupied by those files. Once done, you can move the archived files back to OneDrive.
Upgrade your storage plan: If you need more space, consider upgrading your OneDrive storage plan. Microsoft offers a variety of plans, including 100 GB, 1 TB, and 6 TB options.
Use another cloud storage service: If you don’t want to upgrade to a paid plan and if OneDrive doesn’t offer enough space for your needs, consider using another cloud storage service like Google Drive, which provides more free storage compared to OneDrive.
Checking OneDrive Storage Limit — Conclusion
As you can see, there are several ways to check the OneDrive storage limit and how much storage is left. Whether you use the Windows 11 Settings app, OneDrive Windows or Android app, or the OneDrive website, knowing how much storage is left gives you a better chance to plan.
That is all. It is that simple to find the storage limit in OneDrive.
I hope this simple and easy Windows how-to guide helped you.
If you are stuck or need help, email me, and I will try to help as much as possible.