Steam lets you choose any drive or partition as the download or install location. Here’s how you can change the Steam download directory in Windows 10.
For PC gaming, Steam is the one-stop-shop for many games and game collections. In fact, you can find almost every major game in the Steam store. One of the best things about Steam is that it provides an easy to use user interface and management system to download, install, and manage your favorite games. Not to mention, the ability to share games with your friends and family is pretty awesome too.
By default, Steam uses the default install directory. i.e, the C drive to download and install the games. The problem with this is that most Windows users will not have enough space in the C drive to install multiple games. This is especially true for AAA titles which often exceed 50 GB & 1000 GB limits. Thankfully, Steam offers a simple solution. You can change the game download and install location in Steam. If needed, you can add multiple locations for better game categorization. One of the advantages of choosing a different download location is that even after reinstalling Windows, you can simply point Steam towards the folder and it recognizes the already installed games. No need to reinstall the entire game catalog.
In this quick and simple post, let me show you the steps to quickly change the default Steam download and install directory.
Steps to Change Steam Download/Install Location
To add a new game download or install location in Steam, follow the steps listed below.
- First, open the Steam application. You can do that from the Start menu or by double-clicking on the desktop icon.
- After open Steam, click on the “Steam → Settings” option.
- In the Settings window, click on the “Downloads” tab.
- Click on the “Steam Library Folders” button.
- To add a new folder, click on the “Add Library Folder” button.
- Now, select the folder of your choice and click “Select“. You can change Drives from the top dropdown menu.
- The added folder will appear in the Library list.
- (Optional) To make the newly added folder the default, right-click on it and select “Make Default“.
- Click the “Close” button.
- Click the “Ok” button in the main settings window.
That is all. You’ve successfully added a new download or install location in Steam. If you made the new location the default install directory, Steam will install any new games in that directory. If you did not set any default folder, Steam will prompt you to choose the download/install directory, in the case of multiple library folders.
When you don’t need a library folder, follow the same steps but select the “Remove library folder” option in step 8.
I hope that helps. If you are stuck or need some help, comment below and I will try to help as much as possible. If you like this article, check out how to delay start Steam client at system startup and how to create game shortcuts in the Steam client.