If for any reason you want to change the product key in Windows 11, you can do it via the Settings app. For example, to upgrade or activate Windows 11, you have to manually change the product key found in the COA (Certificate of Authenticity), in your email, or on the retail box.
Thankfully, Windows 11 makes it easy to change the activation key. In fact, there are multiple ways. All you have to do is click a button and follow the on-screen instructions. Let me show you how.
Change Windows 11 product key via Settings
Follow the below steps to change the product key on Windows 11 via the Settings app.
- Launch the Settings app on Windows 11:
- Click on the Start button on the taskbar, search for Settings, and open it. You can also click the Settings icon in the Quick Settings panel.
- Navigate to the System tab on the sidebar:
- After clicking on the Settings icon, the Windows Settings window will appear.
- In the Settings window, you will see several categories listed on the left-hand sidebar.
- Look for and click on the System category.
- Click/tap on the Activation option:
- Within the System category, scroll down the right pane and click/tap on the Activation option.
- Press the Change button next to Change product key:
- Once you click/tap on the Activation option, a new page with activation-related settings will open.
- Look for the section labeled Change product key.
- Next to it, you will find a Change button. Click/tap on this button to proceed.
- Type the new product key and press Next:
- A new window will appear, prompting you to enter the new product key.
- Carefully type the new product key in the provided text field.
- Once you have entered the new key, click/tap on the Next button to proceed.
- Windows 11 will check the product key and activate Windows:
- Windows 11 will now verify the validity of the new product key you entered.
- If the key is valid, Windows will proceed to activate the operating system.
- The activation process may take a few moments. During this time, do not restart or shut down your computer.
- Once the activation is complete, you will receive a confirmation message indicating that Windows 11 is successfully activated.
- Finally, restart the computer:
- Right-click on the Start icon and select the “Shut down > Restart” option.
Command to change product key on Windows 11
To change the product key using Command Prompt, use the below steps:
- Press the Start key on your keyboard.
- Search for Command Prompt.
- Right-click on the Command Prompt option.
- Choose the Run as Administrator option.
- Run the below command with your product key.
slmgr.vbs -ipk ReplaceWithProductKey
- Restart the system after running the command.
- With that, you’ve changed the Windows 11 product key.
That is all. It is that simple to modify the product key on Windows 11.
I hope this simple and easy Windows how-to guide helped you.
If you are stuck or need help, send an email, and I will try to help as much as possible.
Related Windows how-to guides: