If the default administrator name is not to your liking, here are the exact steps to change the administrator name on windows 10.
Windows 10 lets you choose a name for the administrator account while setting up the OS or creating the user account. Once the admin user account is created, the name is almost set and it is not that easy to make changes. This is especially true in Windows 10 if you've linked the administrator account to Microsoft account.
There might be any number of reasons to change the admin name. Like the name not being yours, spelling mistake, improper capitalization, etc. No matter the reason, you can easily change the Windows 10 administrator name. To help you with that, here are the steps you should follow to change the administrator name on Windows 10 from the Settings app and User Accounts (netplwiz) tool.
- How to change administrator name on windows 10 from Settings
- How to change administrator name from the User Accounts tool
Follow any one of the below methods and then name will be changed in just a couple of clicks.
Note: If you are using a local account, follow the second method. If you are using a Microsoft account, follow the first method.
How to change administrator name on windows 10 from Settings
- Open Settings by pressing the "Win + I" key.
- After opening the Settings app, go to "Accounts".
- Select "Your info" on the left panel. This is where you will find the user settings.
- Click "Manage my Microsoft Account" link.
- The above action will open the Microsoft account settings in your default browser. If prompted for a password, authenticate yourself.
- In the account page, click on "More Accounts" and select "Edit Profile".
- Click the "Edit name" link under your name.
- Type the new name and click "Save".
- Close the browser tab/window.
That is all. As soon as save the changes, you are done with changing the name in the Microsoft account. That change will reflect in Windows 10 right away. If not, give Windows 10 some time to sync with your MS account.
How to change administrator name from the User Accounts tool
Using the netplwiz tool in Windows, you can change the administrator name. This method works for both the local and Microsoft accounts.
- Open the Run window with "Win + R" keybinding.
- Type "netplwiz" in the field and click "Ok".
- Select the administrator account from the list.
- Click the "Properties" button.
- Now, change the name in the "Full Name" field.
- Click "Apply".
- Click "Ok" to save changes.
- Close the netplwiz window.
That is all. You are done with the admin name change in Windows 10.
Note: If you are using the Microsoft account, the changes made using this method will not reflect in your Microsoft account. Moreover, Windows might resync the old name from the Microsoft account. As such, I recommend you follow the first method while using the MS account with Windows 10.
Note: If you've enabled the hidden administrator account, you can follow the same steps as shown in the second method to change its name.
That is all. I hope that helps. If you are stuck or need some help, comment below and I will try to help as much as possible.