Starting from v1903, Windows 10 lets you choose between Light Mode and Dark Mode. If you go to the “Personalization -> Colors” page, you can choose the color mode of your choice. As an alternative, you can also schedule dark mode and light mode in Windows 10. Let me show you how.
For the most part, many like their system to be in dark mode at night times to avoid the bright light emitting from the screen. For whatever reason, Microsoft did not include the ability to automatically switch between light mode and dark mode.
In my case, I really like the new Light mode theme in Windows 10. However, at night times, I typically lower the screen brightness to around 15% to 20% to reduce strain on my eyes. Sure, I can manually switch to the dark mode but I’m too lazy. Thankfully, I recently found an awesome app that lets you switch between light mode and dark mode on schedule.
Just set up the app once and it will do its thing in the background.
Schedule Dark Mode and Light Mode in Windows 10
To automatically set the dark mode at night time, we are going to use a free, open-source, and lightweight application called Auto Night Mode.
1. To start off, download the software from Github and install it like any other Windows software.
2. Once installed, launch the application from the start menu. If you don’t see it in the Recently Added section, search for “Auto Dark Mode” in the start menu and click on the result
3. To start using the application, first, select the “Enable automatic theme switching” option.
4. As soon as you select the option, all the other settings will come alive. By default, the app makes it so that the dark mode automatically starts at 7 PM every day and the light mode start at 7 AM. For the vast majority, this time setting is pretty good. If not, modify the time “Custom start-time” setting to meet your needs.
5. Rather than setting a custom time, you can also make the app use your location’s sunrise and sunset time to automatically switch between dark mode and light mode. Simply select “Use Location Service” checkbox and you are good to go.
Note: If the location services are disabled, the app will launch the location services page in the Settings app. Enable the location services for apps feature.
6. One of the neat features of the Auto Dark Mode app is that it can also switch wallpapers according to the light or dark mode. To set light and dark mode wallpapers, click on the “Configure Desktop Background” button.
7. In the next window, set the light and dark mode wallpapers by clicking on the “Pick a file” button. Once you selected the wallpapers, click on the “Save” button. From now on, the app will change the wallpaper according to your settings.
After you configure the application, you can close it. When the time is right the application will launch in the background using a scheduled task and changes the Windows theme.
If you don’t want the app to switch Windows 10 theme then uncheck the “Enable automatic theme switching” option.
That is all. It is that simple to schedule dark mode in Windows 10. If you are facing any problem or know another way or better application, comment below.