When you have multiple users, you can pick and choose which user to share the folder with. Here is how you can share a folder with a specific user in Windows 10.
Windows makes it easy to share folders and files directly from the File Explorer. By default, whenever you share a folder, it is shared with Everyone. As the name suggests, Everyone is a user group that lets any authenticated user access the shared folder. This group also includes the Guest account.
Though sharing folders with Everyone in the system is useful in a lot of situations, there might be a need for restricting a shared folder to a specific user. To do that, you have to manually share a folder with a specific user in Windows 10.
All you have to do is tell Windows with what users you want to share the folder with. Once you do that, Windows will restrict other users from accessing the shared folder. Here are the steps to follow to share a folder with a specific user in Windows 10.
Steps to Share Folder With Specific User in Windows 10
Follow the steps listed below to share folder with specific user in Windows 10.
- First, open the File Explorer and find the folder you want to share.
- Right-click on the folder you want to share.
- Select the “Give access to → Specific people” option form the context menu.
- Now, type the username in the blank field and click “Add“.
- As soon as you click the button, the user will be added to the list.
- By default, the permission level is set to “Read-only“. i.e, the user can read files but cannot modify or delete them.
- (Optional) If you want to allow read and write, click the dropdown menu and select “Read/Write“.
- After setting the permission level, click the “Share” button.
- Once you click the button, the folder is shared with that specific user.
- Click the “Done” button to close the wizard.
That is all. You’ve successfully shared a folder with a user in Windows 10. The user can then access that folder from the Network panel in the File Explorer.
If you ever want to remove the user, right-click on the shared folder, and select the “Give access to → Remove access” option.
Next, click on the “Stop sharing” option.
If you want to remove a specific user, select the “Change sharing permissions” option, and choose “Remove” from the Permissions level dropdown menu.
That is all. I hope that helps. If you are stuck or need some help, comment below and I will try to help as much as possible.