Using Windows Hello, Windows 10 supports multiple types of authentication systems. Those authentication types include the Fingerprint scanning. If you have a laptop or a desktop equipped with a fingerprint scanner, setting up the fingerprint authentication will make the Windows 10 sign in process faster, secure, and painless. After all, all you have to do is place the finger on the sensor and the system will be instantly unlocked. The good thing is, Windows 10 makes it quite easy to add fingerprints. Follow the below steps to setup fingerprint authentication in Windows 10.
Setup Fingerprint Authentication in Windows 10
Setting up fingerprint scanning in Windows 10 is pretty easy and straightforward. Keep in mind that the fingerprints are set up on per user account basis. This makes it so that other users on your system can add their fingerprints to sign into their own user account. If you are using multiple user accounts on the system, like work and personal, then you need to setup fingerprints for those accounts individually.
1. Search for Settings in the start menu and click on it. This action will open the Settings app.
2. In the Settings app go to the Accounts -> Sign-in Options page. On the right-panel, find the Fingerprint section under Windows Hello and click on the Set Up button.
3. You will see a welcome screen. Click on the Get Started button to continue.
4. Before you can set up the fingerprint authentication, you are asked to authenticate yourself. So, authenticate yourself with PIN or password to continue. If you are using the PIN security, you will be prompted to enter the PIN. Otherwise, you need to enter your user account password to proceed.
5. Now, just like you would do on mobile phones, scan your finger on the fingerprint sensor multiple times. As you scan the finger, you will see a fingerprint animation filling.
6. One the bar is filled, you will see the All Set screen. At the point, you are done setting up the fingerprint authentication in Windows 10. Click on the Close button to close the wizard.
Add Multiple Fingerprints in Windows 10
In Windows 10, you can add multiple fingerprints for a user account. This makes it so that you are not stuck using just one finger to unlock the system. For instance, I added all my ten fingers so that I can unlock the system with any finger I want. Not just the index finger.
1. Just like before, open the Settings app and go to Accounts -> Sign-in Options.
2. On the right panel, click on the Add Another button under the Fingerprint section.
3. Now, click on the Get Started button and authenticate yourself with the PIN password or fingerprint to continue.
4. Now, place your other finger and scan it multiple times until the fingerprint animation filled is filled.
5. That is it. You are done adding another fingerprint to Windows 10. If you would like to another fingerprint, simply click on the Add another link and follow the same steps as above.
In case you are wondering, yes, if you would like to add all your ten fingers then you have to do this eight more times. Good luck.
Remove Fingerprint in Windows 10
If you want to remove the fingerprint from Windows 10, follow the below steps. Do keep in mind that if you have multiple fingerprints, you will be removing all of them at the same time. As of now, there is no way to remove an individual fingerprint, if you have set up multiple fingerprints for your user account.
1. Open the Settings app and go to the Accounts -> Sign-in Options page.
2. Here, find the Fingerprint section on the right pane and click on the Remove button.
3. In the next screen, authenticate yourself and confirm the removal process.
As you can see, Windows 10 makes it quite easy to add fingerprints. Comment below if you face and any problems while adding fingerprints in Windows 10.