Recently, I wrote a simple guide on how you can add a printer to the send to menu. If you have multiple printers and have a clear preference for one over the other, you can change the default printer. Generally, Windows manages the default printers by itself. If it is not doing a good job at it, you can manually set the default printer. Here's how.
Set Default Printer in Windows 10
There are multiple ways to change the default printer in Windows 10. In this quick guide, I will show three main methods. The first method works only on Windows 10 but the other two methods will work on Windows 7 and 8 too. All methods achieve the same task. So, feel free to use the one you are comfortable with.
1. PC Settings App Method
PC Settings app makes it very easy to set the default printer on Windows 10. You just have to click a button and you are done.
1. First, open the PC Settings app by pressing the keyboard shortcut Win + I or by searching for it in the start menu.
2. In the PC Settings app, go to "Devices -> Printers & Scanners" page.
3. On the right panel, uncheck the "Allow Windows to manage my default printer" option. Without unchecking this option, you cannot choose a default printer.
4. Now, click on the printer of your choice from the list and then click on the "Manage" button.
5. In the subsequent page, click on the "Set as Default" button.
6. As soon as click on the button, the target printer will be set as default on Windows 10.
2. Control Panel Method
You can also use the good old control panel to modify the default printer. The good thing is, this method works in Windows 7 and 8 too.
1. Search for "Control Panel" in the start menu and click on it to open it.
2. In the control panel, make sure the View by is set to "Categories". Next, click on the "View devices and printers" link under the Hardware and Sound section.
3. In this page, right-click on the printer of your choice and select the "Set as default printer" option. If you see a warning message, click on the "Yes" button.
4. As soon as you select the option, Windows will change the default printer to your choice. You will see a green checkmark for the default printer.
3. Command to Set Default Printer
As an alternative, you can also use simple commands to set the default printer.
1. Open the Start Menu, search for "Command Prompt" and then click on the "Run as Administrator" option appearing on the right panel. You can also right-click and select Run as administrator option.
2. Before you can change the default printer, you need to know the printer names. So, execute the below command and the window will list all the printer names.
wmic printer get name,default
3. Once you have the names, execute the below command while replacing "printer_name" with the actual printer name from the list you got from the first command.
wmic printer where name="printer_name" call setdefaultprinter
4. As soon as you execute the command, the default printer will be changed to your choice.
That is it. It is that simple to set default printer on Windows 10. If you are facing any problems, comment below and I will try to help as much as possible.