If you no longer need it, you can remove the “Scan with Malwarebytes” option from the right-click context menu. Here’s how.
When you install Malwarebytes, it automatically adds a new option called ‘Scan with Malwarebytes’ to the File Explorer’s right-click context menu. As you can guess from the name itself, it lets you scan any file or folder from File Explorer. Scan with Malwarebytes context menu option eliminates the need to manually open the Malwarebytes application and then trigger a custom scan with a file or folder as the target.
Though the option is pretty handy at times, it also makes it easy to accidentally trigger the malware scan. This is especially true when there are other useful options around the ‘Scan with Malwarebytes’ option.
If you are not using the Malwarebytes context menu option, you can remove it. That way, you don’t have to bother with accidental scans. Moreover, removing unnecessary options will make the context menu look a bit better organized.
In this quick guide, let me share with you the steps to remove the scan with Malwarebytes option from the right-click context menu in Windows.
Steps to remove ‘Scan with Malwarebytes’ option from context menu
To remove scan with Malwarebytes option, follow the steps listed below.
- Open the Malwarebytes application.
- Click on the “Settings” gear icon.
- Go to the “General” tab in Settings.
- Turn OFF the “Add Malwarebytes options to Windows Explorer” option.
- Close the Malwarebytes application.
You can remove the Scan with Malwarebytes option directly from the Malwarebytes itself. You don’t have to modify registry or anything. Here’s how.
1. First, open the Malwarebytes application. To do that you can either double-click on the taskbar icon or search for “Malwarebytes” in the Start menu.
2. After opening the Malwarebytes application, click on the “Settings” icon. You will see it as a gear (cog) icon to the top right side of the window.
3. After opening the settings page, click on the “General” tab. This is where you will find all the general settings to control the Malwarebytes application.
4. In the general tab, turn OFF the “Add Malwarebytes options to Windows Explorer” option under “Windows Explorer Settings” section.
5. Settings are automatically saved. You can now close the Malwarebytes application.
That is all. From now on, you will not see the “Scan with Malwarebytes” option in the File Explorer’s context menu. If you ever want the option back, follow the same steps but turn ON the option we just turned off.
The Scan with Malwarebytes item should be removed from the context menu as soon as you turn off the option. However, if you are still seeing it, it is possible that the changes are not applied. To rectify that, restart explorer. Alternatively, you can also reboot Windows. Doing any one of the two things will apply the changes and removes the context menu item.
That is all. I hope that helps. If you are stuck or need some help, comment below and I will try to help as much as possible.