File Explorer is one of the best things about Windows 10. There is no other application in Windows that is used as frequently as File Explorer. To make navigation easier, file explorer has the Quick Access navigation pane. The Quick Access navigation pane hosts general folders like Documents, Pictures, etc. If you want to, you can also pin your own folders to the Quick Access navigation pane. As useful as it is, if you are not using it, you can remove Quick Access navigation from File Explorer.
Once you remove quick access, it will free up some space in the navigation pane so that you can see other menus like This PC and Network without having to scroll down. Without ado, let me show you how to remove quick access from Windows 10 navigation menu.
Steps Remove Quick Access from File Explorer Navigation Pane
Windows 10 has no options in the Folder Options tool to quickly remove the quick access hub from the file explorer navigation pane. However, like many things, you can do it by editing registry. For this specific purpose, editing registry is simple and easy. All we have to do is create a new registry value and edit it. So, backup registry and proceed with the following steps.
1. Open the start menu, search for regedit and open the Registry Editor. As an alternative, you can also use the run command regedit.
2. In the Registry Editor, copy the below path, paste it in the address bar and press Enter. This action will take you to the folder where we need to create the new registry value.
3. Once you are here, you will see a bunch of values on the right panel. Since we need to create a new value, right-click on the empty space and select New -> DWORD (32-bit) Value option.
4. The value will be created with no name. Name the value as HubMode.
5. After creating the value, we need to modify the default value. Double-click on the newly created value. In the Edit Value window, type 1 in the value data field and click on the Ok button to save changes.
6. Close the registry and open the file explorer. You should no longer see quick access in the navigation pane.
If you are still seeing the navigation pane, either restart Windows Explorer process or restart the entire system. To restart the Windows Explorer process, open the task manager by right-clicking on the taskbar and selecting Task Manager option. In the task manager, go to the Processes tab, find Windows Explorer process, right-click on it and select Restart. That is it. After you restart, the quick access hub will be removed from the File Explorer.
To restore the quick access hub, either type 0 in the value data field in step 5 or delete the HubMode value we just created. Of course, restart the system to make the changes take effect.
That is it. It is that simple to remove quick access from Windows 10 navigation pane. If you are facing any problems, comment below and I will try to help you get it sorted.
If you like this article, you might also like how to clear file explorer address bar history, how to remove 3D objects folder from file explorer, and how to open multiple file explorer instances on Windows 10. Do check them out.