To access your favorite websites quickly, you can pin them to the taskbar. Here are the steps to pin websites to taskbar in Windows 10 & 8.
Windows taskbar lets you pin any app so that you can access with just a single click. Along with installed and portable applications, you can also pin folders to the taskbar. If you are using internet it is only natural that you will have a few websites that you access on almost a daily basis. For example, two of my most used websites are Google and Outlook.
When you want to open those most used websites, rather than opening the web browser and then manually typing in the web address, you can simply pin the target website to the taskbar. Once pinned, you can access the website directly from the taskbar with just a single click. So, without further ado, follow the below steps to pin websites to taskbar in Windows 10.
Note: I’m showing the steps in Windows 10 but the same steps should work in older Windows versions like 7 and 8.
Pin Websites to Taskbar
All most every major browser has its own way to pin websites to the taskbar. I will show how to do it in Google Chrome, Edge Chromium, and Firefox. To make things easier, I’ve divided the steps on the basis of browser. Follow the steps for the browser of your choice.
Steps for Google Chrome
Google Chrome long ago implemented a simple way to quickly pin websites to the taskbar in Windows. Although it is a roundabout way, it still is pretty easy.
1. First, open the Google Chrome browser if it is not already opened.
2. Now, go to the website you want to pin. Just enter the website URL in the address bar and press Enter.
3. Now, click on the “Menu” icon (three vertical dots) appearing on the top-right corner. From the Menu, select the “More tools → Create shortcut” option.
4. Chrome will now ask for a name for the shortcut. Name the shortcut and then click on the “Create” button.
5. The above action will create a new shortcut on the desktop for that website. Now, just drag and drop that shortcut onto the taskbar. This will pin that shortcut to the taskbar.
That is it. You’ve pinned a website to the taskbar. From now on, click on it and the website will open in the Chrome browser.
Steps for Edge Chromium
The new Edge Chromium makes it a tiny bit easier than the Google Chrome browser.
1. Open the new Edge Chromium browser and go to the website you want to pin to the taskbar.
2. Once the website is loaded, click on the “Menu” icon (three horizontal dots) appearing on the top-right corner. Here, select the “More tools → Pin to taskbar” option.
3. The browser will ask for a name. Type the name and click on the “Pin” button.
That is it. The website will be pinned to the taskbar. Click on it and it will be opened in the Edge Chromium browser.
Steps for Firefox
As of writing this, Firefox has no built-in option to pin websites to taskbar. However, we can manually create a shortcut and then add it to the taskbar.
1. First, right-click on the desktop and select the “New → Shortcut” option.
2. Now, add the below path in the blank field while replacing “https://example.com” with the actual web address. Click on the “Next” button.
"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -url https://example.com
3. Name the shortcut and click on the “Finish” button.
4. You’ve created the website shortcut. Now, drag and drop it onto the taskbar.
That is it. From now on, click on the taskbar icon and then website will open in the Firefox.
I hope that helps. If you are stuck or need some help, comment below and I will try to help as much as possible. If you like this article, do check out how to pin folders to taskbar and how to backup pinned taskbar items.