To stop unauthorized access, you can lock password OneNote sections. Here are the exact steps to password protect OneNote in Windows 10.
OneNote gives you a simple user interface and organizational structure to quickly and efficiently take notes. One of the best things about OneNote is its infinite canvas that allows you to create long notes either vertically and/or horizontally. In OneNote, you can create custom notebooks. For example, you can create separate notebooks for personal and work/college use. Each notebook allows you to create sections. Each section can then be subdivided into pages.
The good thing is, OneNote sections can be protected with a password. If you have a section that you don’t want others to see, you can simply password protect that particular section in just a couple of clicks. This feature is very useful for shared notebooks. In this quick guide, let me share with you the steps to password protect OneNote in Windows 10.
Note: I assume that there already is a section that you want to password protect in OneNote. Otherwise, you can easily create a new section by clicking on the “+” icon in the OneNote application.
How to Password Protect OneNote Windows 10 App
If you are using the OneNote app for Windows 10 then follow the steps below to password protect sections in OneNote.
- Press the Start key on your keyboard to open the Start menu.
- Type “OneNote” and click on the result to open the OneNote app.
- After opening the OneNote app, open a Notebook of your choice.
- Right-click on the section you want to protect with a password.
- Select the “Password Protection → Add Password” option.
- Type the password two times and click “Ok“.
- As soon as you click the button, OneNote will encrypt that particular section and password protect it.
Every time you close OneNote or after a certain time, the section will be automatically locked. You will see a lock icon when it is locked.
To unlock the section, select it, type the password and press Enter.
Once unlocked, you will see the unlock icon next to the section name.
Remove OneNote Password (Windows 10 Store Version)
To remove the lock, first, unlock the section. Next, right-click on the section and select “Password protection → Remove password”. Type the passphrase and press Enter. OneNote will instantly remove the password protection.
How to Password Protect OneNote 2016
If you are using the OneNote 2016 desktop version then follow these steps.
- Open the Start menu.
- Type “OneNote 2016” and click on the result to open it.
- Open the Notebook of your choice.
- Sections of the notebook will appear as tabs on the top bar.
- Right-click on the section you want to lock and select the “Password protect this section” option.
- Click the “Set Password” button.
- Type the password and click “Ok“.
- Finally, click on the “Lock all” button to lock the section.
That is all. You’ve successfully encrypted and locked the OneNote 2016 section.
To unlock the section, simply select the section and press Enter. Then, type the password and click “Ok”.
Remove OneNote 2016 Password
To remove the OneNote 2016 password, right-click on the section heading and select the “Password protect this section” option. Now, click on the “Remove password” button. Type the password to confirm and click “Ok”. As soon as you click the button OneNote 2016 will remove the password.
That is all. I hope that helps. If you are stuck or need some help, comment below and I will try to help as much as possible. If you like this article, check out how to recover the deleted OneNote page or notes.