Microsoft just released insider build 17677 for fast ring users with Edge browser improvements and other general fixes and improvements.
At first, Dona Sarkar tweeted that there is no build this week because of some Rollback issues. However, the issue was not Rollback but deployment issue on Microsoft servers. The team quickly fixed the issue and proceeded to release the build.
Like I said, Microsoft made some much-needed improvements to the Edge browser.
Improvements to Edge Browser
Microsoft reorganized the Edge menu into categories or groups, much like in Chrome and Firefox. With the improvements, the menu is now organized into several groups. They no longer appear in one big list and the options are bit easier to find and clutter free. Also, the menu options also display relevant keyboard shortcuts to the right side of the option.
Top Sites in Jump Lists
The Edge browser's jump list can now display your top sites. Just right-click on the Edge browser icon in the taskbar or start menu and you will see your top sites.
More Options in Downloads Pane
The downloads pane in Edge browser offers more options when right-clicking on an item. Those options are the ability to copy download link, open the file location, and report downloaded item as not safe. This a small but much appreciated improvement.
Narrator’s scan mode now supports selecting content in Microsoft Edge, Word, Outlook, Mail, and most text surfaces. You can use the regular Narrator keyboard shortcuts. To see a list of Narrator keyboard shortcuts press Caps Lock + F1.
- Improvements to Kernal debugging
- Task Manager memory reporting improvements
- Improved Mobile Broadband USB class driver based on the NetAdapter framework for better mobile broadband connectivity.
General Changes, Fixes, and Improvements
- We fixed an issue causing Narrator to read extra text when invoking Alt + Tab.
- We fixed an issue resulting in Chinese and Japanese characters not rendering correctly in Command Prompt.
- We fixed an issue where double-clicking text in Command Prompt only selected up to the first punctuation mark, not up to the space.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the Home and End keys not working in Microsoft Edge in recent flights.
- We fixed an issue resulting in a high volume of reliability issues in any XAML surface using Reveal in the previous flight.
- We fixed an issue resulting in some apps like Adobe XD from crashing on launch in recent flights.
- When you press F1 in Microsoft Edge it will now take you to the Microsoft Edge support page, rather than Microsoft Edge tips.
- When a tab in Microsoft Edge is playing audio, the volume icon in the tab will now light up when you hover your mouse over it.
- When you open local files (like PDFs) in Microsoft Edge, those files will now appear in the History section.
- We fixed an issue where downloading files in Microsoft Edge could appear stuck on doing the security scan.
- We fixed a recent issue where Ctrl + Shift + Left to select backwards in Notepad wouldn’t work at the end of a line.
- When you execute “start cmd” from a Command Prompt window, a new Command Prompt tab will now be created if you have Sets enabled. This will also work for other start launches, like “start notepad”. To start something in a new window you can use the new /newwindow flag, for example “start /newwindow notepad”.
- We fixed the issue that was preventing users from enabling Developer Mode through the For developers settings page.
Known Issues in Build 17677
- Important note for Windows Insider Program for Business folks: If you use your AAD account to receive new flights (via Settings > Update & Security > Windows Insider Program) there is an issue causing the “Fix me” option to be presented which unfortunately will not work and you will not be able to receive the latest flights. We’re working to fix this as soon as possible in an upcoming build.
- We’re working on adding dark theme in File Explorer and the Common File Dialog, but we still have some things to do. You may see some unexpectedly light colors in these surfaces when in dark mode.
- Insiders who use Remote Desktop, project their screen, or have multiple monitors may experience explorer.exe hangs on this build. This issue can also lead to Microsoft Edge hangs.
- If you right-click apps in the taskbar you may find that the jump list is missing pinned and recent items.
- After update, Mixed Reality Portal will reinstall the Mixed Reality Software and as a result environment setting will not be preserved. If you need your Mixed Reality home experience to persist it is advised you not take this build until these issues are fixed.
Download Windows 10 insider build 17677