Did you know that you can open the Edge InPrivate mode with a keyboard shortcut? Here’s how you can create Edge InPrivate keyboard shortcut.
When you don’t want the Edge browser to save your browsing history, you can open the InPrivate browsing session. You can think of Edge InPrivate mode as the Incognito mode in Chrome. When in a private browsing session, your browsing history, cookies, form data, passwords, etc., will not be saved. To open Edge InPrivate mode, you just need to click on the menu icon and then select the “New InPrivate Window” option.
If you are frequently opening the Edge InPrivate mode, you can make your life a bit easier by assigning a keyboard shortcut. After assigning, you can open Edge InPrivate mode with the keyboard shortcut. This also has the added advantage of opening Edge InPrivate mode without first opening the regular Edge window or using the mouse.
In this quick and simple guide, let me show you the steps to open Edge InPrivate mode with keyboard shortcut in Windows.
Edge InPrivate Keyboard Shortcut
To open Edge InPrivate mode with keyboard shortcut, you first need to create Edge InPrivate mode desktop shortcut and then assign the key binding of your choice. Here’s how you can do it.
1. Go to the desktop on your Windows system. You can do that by clicking on the “Show Desktop” button appearing to the right-most side of the taskbar or by pressing the “Windows Key + D” shortcut.
2. Right-click on empty space on the desktop. Select the “New → Shortcut” option from the right-click context menu. This is the option that lets you create custom shortcuts in Windows.
3. Paste the following path in the Location field and click on the “Next” button. The “-inprivate” flag is responsible for opening Edge in InPrivate mode. If you have multiple profiles and want to open a particular profile, modify the “–profile-directory=Default” flag accordingly.
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe" --profile-directory=Default -inprivate
4. Type a name for the desktop shortcut and click on the “Finish” button. The name can be anything you want. I recommend you name it something descriptive.
5. Right-click on the shortcut you just created. Select the “Properties” option from the context menu. This is how we are going to assigning the keyboard shortcut.
6. Select the “Shortcut” field under the “General” tab.
7. Press the keyboard shortcut you want to assign. As you press, you will see the see the keystrokes in the shortcut field.
8. Click on the “Ok” button to save changes.
That is it. With that, you’ve created the Edge InPrivate mode desktop shortcut and assigned a keyboard shortcut to it. As long as the shortcut is on your desktop, you can open the Edge InPrivate mode with the keyboard shortcut. Just press the keyboard shortcut you assigned and Edge InPrivate mode will open.
I hope that helps. If you are stuck or need some help, comment below and I will try to help as much as possible. If you like this article, check out how to create Chrome incognito desktop shortcut.