Want to save your favorite webpage for offline reading or safekeeping? You can convert the webpage to PDF with just a few clicks and save it to the disk. Here is how to do it in simple steps.
It is not every time, but there will be times when you need to save the web page you are looking at. For example, I often write detailed Windows guides requiring lengthy or specific steps to get the desired result. If you want to retrace the steps, send it to a friend, or keep it for offline use, you need to download the webpage.
In that case, rather than downloading the webpage as an HTML file, it is better to convert it to PDF and save it to disk. One of the best things about PDF is its universal compatibility and ease of use.
To save the webpage as a PDF, you first need to convert the webpage into PDF and then save or download it. The good thing is, Windows and almost all browsers have a built-in mechanism to convert a webpage to PDF. All you have you do is click a few buttons, and you are good to go.
For instance, you can use the print function, use a browser extension or an online web service, etc. No matter which method you choose to convert a webpage to PDF, it will get you the same result. In this detailed guide, I will show you the three most common ways to convert and save a webpage as a PDF.
So, without further delay, let me show you how to convert web pages to PDF and save them in Windows 11.
Table of contents:
- Use the print function to convert webpage to PDF
- Extension to convert and save the webpage as PDF
- Web service to convert webpage to PDF
Use the print function to convert webpage to PDF
Windows has a built-in print function that allows you to print documents with a printer and save webpages as PDF. You can do that using the “Microsoft Print to PDF” option. Here is how to do.
- Open the webpage you want to convert.
- Press the “Ctrl + P” shortcut.
- Select “Microsoft Print to PDF” in the Destination dropdown menu.
- Set “Pages” to “All.”
- Set “Layout” to “Portrait.”
- Click the “Print” button.
- Go to a folder where you want to save the file.
- Type a name of your choice in the “File name” field.
- Click the “Save” button.
- With that, the webpage is converted to PDF and saved to disk.
Same steps with a bit more detail:
First of all, open the webpage you want to convert to PDF in the browser of your choice. I recommend you use Edge, Chrome, or Firefox. After that, press the “Ctrl + P” keyboard shortcut. You can also open the browser menu and select the “Print” option.
As soon as you do that, the browser will show print options. Choose “Microsoft Print to PDF” from the Destination dropdown menu. Additionally, make sure the Pages, Layout, and Color options are set to “All,” “Portrait,” and “Color.” If you want, you can also configure additional settings like Paper Size, Pages for Sheet, Margins, Scale, etc., from the More Settings dropdown.
Once you are done with the settings, click the “Print” button.
Clicking the button will open the Save window. Here, go to the folder where you want to save the file, type a name of your choice in the “File name” field, and click the “Save” button.
That is it. With that, you have converted the webpage to PDF and saved it to the disk.
Open the File Explorer and go to the destination folder to see the newly saved PDF file. You can open it in your browser or a dedicated PDF reader software like Sumatra PDF Reader.
Extension to convert and save the webpage as PDF
If you want, you can use a free extension to convert webpage to PDF in Chrome and Edge browsers and save it to disk. The good thing about using an extension is that all it takes is a single click, and you will have your favorite webpage in PDF format. Here is how.
Note: the steps below will work for Chrome and Edge browsers.
- Open the browser.
- Go to the official extension page.
- Click the “Add to Chrome” button.
- Click “Add extension” when prompted.
- Now, open the webpage you want to convert to PDF.
- Click on the “Extension” icon.
- It will convert the webpage to PDF and download it automatically.
- Open the File Explorer.
- Go to the Downloads folder to see the downloaded PDF file.
- With that, you have converted and saved the webpage as a PDF.
Note: The extension might be hidden by default in the Chrome browser. In that case, click on the “Extensions” icon and then “Pin” the “Save as PDF” extension to see it on the top bar.
Web service to convert webpage to PDF
You can also use free online services to convert web pages to PDF with just a few clicks. This method is handy if the Print function is not working or you don’t like using an extension.
- Copy the URL of the webpage you want to convert to PDF.
- Go to the https://webtopdf.com page.
- Paste the copied URL in the blank field.
- Click the “Convert” button.
- Wait till the conversion is complete.
- Click the “Download” button.
- The document instantly downloads to your disk.
- With that, you have converted the webpage to PDF.
That is all. It is that simple to convert a webpage to PDF in Windows.
I hope this simple and straightforward guide helped you.
If you are stuck or need some help, comment below, and I will try to help as much as possible.