Problems with AMD Radeon driver software? Here’s a simple way to fully and clean uninstall AMD Radeon Adrenalin 2020 software from Windows.
Recently, AMD released its new major annual Radeon graphics driver update called Adrenalin 2020. As the name suggests, the Adrenalin 2020 comes bundled with a host of new features, performance improvements, and much-needed bug fixes. One of the best things about Adrenalin 2020 is its user interface. It is not only cleaner but also well organized. In addition to that, the Radeon Boost feature can improve or adjust the game resolution on the fly for high FPS on select games.
As good as the new Adrenalin 2020 update is, there can still be some hiccups and situations where the software fails to install properly or won’t work as it should even after installing it. In those cases, completely uninstalling the Radeon Adrenalin 2020 software and then reinstalling it can fix a lot of issues.
To help you with that, here’s how you can completely uninstall AMD Radeon Adrenalin 2020 software in Windows.
Note: I’m Showing this in Windows 10 but the same procedure can be followed in Windows 7 and 8. Also, before proceeding, create a system restore point.
1] Uninstall Radeon Adrenalin 2020 from Control Panel
Like almost any software, you can uninstall AMD Radeon Adrenalin 2020 directly from the Control Panel. Before using any sort of removal tool, you should always try to uninstall it from the Control Panel. Unlike in the previous version of Windows, developers are taking note not to leave junk behind after uninstalling an application in Windows.
1. First, open the start menu, search for Control Panel and click on the result. This action will open the Control Panel. In the control panel window, set the View By to “Large Icons” or “Small Icons” and click on the “Programs and Features” option.
2. From the list of all the applications, find and select “AMD Software”, right-click on it and select “Uninstall” option.
3. The above action will launch the uninstaller. In this screen, select “Adrenalin 2020 Edition” and click on the “Uninstall” button.
4. As soon as you click on the button, the AMD installer will scan your system and uninstall the software and drivers along with it. It will take a couple of minutes for that to happen.
5. Once the uninstallation is done, you will be asked to reboot Windows. Close the window, save your work, and reboot Windows.
In case you wondering, rebooting is important because some files may be in use by Windows. As such, rebooting allows the uninstaller to remove the locked files and folders.
If the uninstaller fails to uninstall Adrenalin 2020 properly or if it is throwing errors, follow the second method.
2] Use AMD Cleanup Tool
If the first method is not working or if you are seeing strange errors, we can use the official AMD Cleanup Tool to completely uninstall AMD software and drivers. The AMD Cleanup Tool will forcefully uninstall the software from your system.
Note: The AMD Cleanup Tool will remove all AMD related applications and drivers. There is no way to select what to remove and what not to remove.
2. As soon as you open the application, it will inform you of what it can uninstall. Click on the “Ok” button to continue.
3. As soon as you click on the button, the cleanup tool will scan your system and removes all the applications in the background. There is nothing for you to do. It can take around 15 to 20 minutes to complete depending on how many AMD software you have installed. Just sit back and wait.
4. Once the uninstallation is completed successfully, you will see “The AMD Cleanup Utility has successfully completed” message. Click on the “Finish” button.
5. The next prompt asks you to reboot Windows. Click on the “Yes” button to boot Windows normally.
That is all. It is that simple to uninstall AMD Radeon Adrenalin 2020 in Windows.
I hope that helps. If you are stuck or need some help, comment below and I will try to help as much as possible.