If you are using a Dell laptop, Windows 10 makes it easy to format and reset it to factory settings. Here are the steps to format Dell laptop in Windows 10.
When it comes to laptops, Dell is one of the most popular and trusted brands out there for Windows 10 laptops. By default, Dell’s Windows 10 laptops are preconfigured and ready to go as soon as you receive them. However, the preconfigured Dell Windows 10 laptop might have bloatware or if it is not working as it should, you can format Dell laptop and reset Windows 10. For instance, if the laptop is infected with a virus or malware or if it is throwing strange errors or running slow, it is time to format. That way, you will have a clean Windows 10 laptop with default settings.
Using the Windows 10 Settings app, you can easily reset a Dell laptop without much effort. You don’t have to use any third-party software or insert the Windows 10 installation media. The good thing is, as long as you stored your personal files in other drives/partitions, you will not lose data.
Without further ado, let me show you the steps to format Dell laptop in Windows 10 and reset it to a clean state.
Note: Before following the steps, backup any personal data in the C drive just to be on the safe side. As a starting point, take a look at all the folders in the “C:\Users\UserName” directory and backup any personal data.
Steps to Format Dell Laptop in Windows 10
Follow the steps listed below to easily format Dell laptop in Windows 10.
- First, click on the “Start” button on the Taskbar.
- Next, click on the “Gear” icon to open the Windows 10 Settings.
- After opening the Settings app, click on “Update & Security“.
- Click the “Recovery” option. You can see it in the left panel.
- Now, click the “Get started” button under the “Reset this PC” section.
- In the Reset window, select the “Keep my files” option.
- Here, click the “Reset” button. As I said before, this option will keep your personal files but removes all the installed applications and resets the Windows 10 settings to their defaults.
- As soon as you click the button, Windows 10 will start the formatting and resetting process.
The whole process will take a while. In the process of resetting, the system may restart several times. So, sit back and wait until the resetting process is complete.
After Formatting the Dell Laptop
Once the resetting is done, you can log back into the laptop with your login credentials. Since all the installed third-party programs are removed, you have to reinstall them manually. I recommend using Ninte to install the most common software like browsers, media players, email clients, etc.
After setting up everything, create a system restore point, do a full backup of your C drive, and create a Dell recovery drive. These multiple checkpoints will help you restore the system to its known good condition without having to format or reset the laptop.
That is all. I hope that helps. If you are stuck or need some help, comment below and I will try to help as much as possible.