No matter who you are or how fluent in English you are, it is quite normal that there will be spelling errors in your typing. Generally, most programs like Word and even Browsers have their own spell checkers to deal with this problem. However, even though Wordpad is a pretty powerful rich text editor, it has no built-in spell checker. If you use the Wordpad application regular and need a decent spell checker then the good thing is that you can add that capability. In case you are wondering, follow the below steps to enable spell check in Wordpad (and Notepad too).
Enable Spell Check in Wordpad
To add spell check capabilities to the Wordpad program, we are going to use a free and lightweight application called tinySpell. This application works not only with Wordpad but with the entire Windows system. i.e, on any application. Simply put, tinySpell works as a system-wide spell checker.
Note: The free version of tinySpell only supports English (US) language. For other languages, you need to purchase the Plus version that costs $15.
- To start, download tinySpell from the official site and install it like any other Windows application. If you don’t want to install the application, the developer also provides a portable version that works just the same.
- After installing the application, launch the application using the desktop shortcut or by searching for it in the start menu.
- Once you launch, the tinySpell application will sit silently in the taskbar until it is needed. In the background, it actively looks for any spelling errors.
- Now, launch the Wordpad and start typing. When there is a spelling error, you will hear a beep sound and tinySpell will show a red text on top the wrong word.
- To correct the spelling error, either click on the red text or press the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + ;. You will see a list of correct words. Select the correct spelling and the wrong spelling will be replaced with the selected correct one.
Wordpad Spell Check Customization
Though tinySpell is a simple and lightweight application, it comes with a variety of settings to properly configure the application to meet your needs. For instance, you can change the shortcut which shows the list of correct spellings, change the alert when you mistype, etc.
- To access the tinySpell settings window, right-click on the tinySpell application icon and select the “Settings” option.
- The above action will open the settings window. The good thing about this settings window is that all the configurable options are on one page and you can change them with just a few clicks. Just go through each setting and change the ones you need.
- Now, just like any good spell checker, sometimes the application will highlight correct words as spelling errors. If you have a list of those words, you can add them to the tinySpell dictionary. To do that, right-click on the tinySpell icon and select the “Dictionary” option.
- Enter the word in the top field and click on the “Add” button to add the word to the dictionary.
- If needed, you can configure tinySpell to work only in specific applications or ignore specific applications. To do that, right-click on the tinySpell icon and select the “Applications” option.
- Here, to block tinySpell from working in specific applications, select “Enabled“. To make tinySpell work only in selected applications, select “Disabled“. Next, use the “Add” button to add the applications.
That is all. As you can see, it is rather easy to enable Wordpad spell check, albeit with a third-party application.