To separate your workflows, you can create new profiles in the browser. Follow these steps to create a new profile in the Edge Chromium browser.
The new Edge Chromium browser allows you to create multiple profiles with just a few clicks. In case you don’t know, a profile lets you open a separate Edge Chromium instance with a completely independent extensions, history, passwords, and other settings. As you can guess, profiles are very useful to separate your workflows. For example, you can create different profiles for personal, work, financial, shopping, etc. In addition to that, if you are sharing your browser with others, you can create profiles for that use case too.
In the new Edge browser, it is very easy to create a new profile. All you have to do is click on the add profile button and you are done. Of course, you can sync all the extensions, history, passwords, and other data by signing into your Microsoft account in that profile.
Without ado, let me show you the steps to quickly create a new profile in the Edge Chromium browser.
Note: The below steps are applicable to all Windows versions and other operating systems that Edge supports.
Steps to create new profile in Edge Chromium browser
To create a new Edge browser profile, follow the steps listed below.
- Open the Edge browser.
- Click on the “User profile” icon on the top right-hand side.
- Select the “Add profile” option.
- Click the “Add” button in the information box.
- A new profile is created immediately in the Edge Chromium browser.
1. First, open the Edge Chromium browser. You can do that by clicking on the Edge icon on the taskbar or by searching for “Edge” in the Start menu.
2. After opening the browser, click on the “User profile” icon. It will appear right next to the menu icon (three horizontal dots) appearing in the top right corner of the window.
3. Click on the “Add profile” option from the flyout menu.
4. If you see an information box, simply click on the “Add” button to continue.
As soon as you click the button, Edge will automatically create a new profile with a default name. The name will be something like “Profile #” where ‘#’ is a number.
If you want to, you can sign in to your Microsoft account to sync Edge extensions, settings, history, passwords, etc.
Change Edge Chromium profile name and icon
If you don’t like the default name or icon of the Edge Chromium profile, you can change it. Changing the Edge profile name and/or icon makes it easy to differentiate between profiles when you have more than two.
1. First, open the Edge browser.
2. Click on the “User profile” icon on the top right-hand side.
3. Select the profile for which you want to change the name and/or icon.
4. Now, type “edge://settings/profiles” in the address bar and press Enter.
5. Click on the “Menu” icon (three horizontal dots) next to the profile name.
6. Select the “Edit” option.
7. Now, type the name of your choice in the first field.
8. If needed, select the icon of your choice from the available list.
9. Click on the “Update” button.
That is all. With that, you’ve successfully changed the Edge profile name and icon.
Do keep in mind that if you are logged into a Microsoft account, you need to change your Microsoft account icon to change the profile icon. As of writing this, there is no other way.
I hope that helps. If you are stuck or need some help, comment below and I will try to help as much as possible.