If your Lenovo laptop is not booting, you can use the Windows USB recovery to quickly restore the system. However, if there are no recovery files, you cannot use the Windows Recovery mode. In those situations, you can create Lenovo Recovery USB drive to recover or reinstall Windows 10. Let me show you how.
Before proceeding, make sure that you have your laptop serial number ready. You are required to verify your device with the Lenovo serial number. Generally, you can find the serial number at the bottom of the device or in the BIOS. Additionally, you should have an account with Lenovo. If you don’t have one, you can sign up while verifying your laptop.
Steps to Create Lenovo USB Recovery Drive
Creating a recovery drive for your Lenovo laptop is quite easy. In fact, Lenovo provides a simple first-party software called Digital Download Recovery Service (DDRS) to create recovery USB drive. However, this process is not instantaneous. You have to submit a digital download order. This order will make Lenovo create recovery files for your specific computer or laptop. Like I said before, have your Lenovo device serial number device ready.
1. First, head over to this page, enter your Lenovo laptop serial number and click on the Go button.
2. Lenovo will now verify your device serial number. If it is correct, you are shown additional options. Here, select your country and language. If prompted, select your Operating System choice as Windows 10 and agree to the terms and conditions too. Click on the Next button.
3. If you are not already signed in, Lenovo will now prompt you to sign into your account. You can also sign up for a new account directly from this page. Fill out all the fields and click on the Submit button.
4. As soon as you submit the order, Lenovo will start creating your digital download recovery USB files. It can take some time (around an hour or two) to complete the procedure.
5. After an hour or two, plug in a 16+ GB USB drive. Make sure that there is no important data in that drive. The recovery creation will wipe the USB drive.
6. Now, download the Lenovo USB recovery software and double-click on it. On the main screen select “Download Recovery Files and Create a Recovery USB Key” option.
7. You will be now prompted to sign into your Lenovo account. Fill in the details and click on the Sign In button.
8. If your digital download order is complete, you will see it on the list. Select the order and click on the Next button.
9. In this screen, select a download location and click on the Download button. Make sure the download location has at least 20GB of free space.
10. Once the download is complete, select your USB drive from the drop-down menu and click on the Next button.
11. If you see a USB Key Validated or USB partitions are created message, click on the Yes button.
12. As soon as you click on the Yes button, the Lenovo USB recovery creator starts the USB recovery creation process.
13. Once the USB drive has been created, if you want to delete all the downloaded files, click on the Yes button. If you want to keep the downloaded recovery files, click on the “No, Exit” button and close the recovery software.
That is it. Just plug in the USB recovery drive in your Lenovo laptop or computer and boot into it. Next, follow the wizard and you should have your machine working in no time.
Using a Dell laptop, here are steps to create Dell Recovery USB drive.