Did you know that you can create an invisible folder in Windows 10? Follow these steps to make an already existing folder invisible or create a new invisible folder in Windows.
If you've never heard about an invisible folder, you might think of it as a hidden folder. It's NOT. When you hide a folder, Windows will remove it from the regular structure. Unless you specifically select the "Hidden Items" checkbox in File Explorer, you simply cannot see the folder.
On the contrary, when you make a folder invisible, it stays in the normal structure. However, it becomes completely transparent. For example, if you create a folder on your desktop, move it to a corner and make it invisible, it will be still there but is not visible. Unlike the hidden folder, there is no need to unhide it first. You can use it like any other folder.
Important: Don't store your important files in this folder. This is not a secure way to store your sensitive files. Think of this as a fun way to mess with your friends, family, and colleagues.
Steps to Create Invisible Folder
It is rather easy to make a folder invisible. All you have to do is name the folder with a blank string and then set the folder icon to a transparent image.
1. First, create a new folder by right-clicking on the desktop and selecting "New → Folder". If you already have a folder that you'd like to make invisible, skip this step.
2. Now, you need to name folder. To do that, select the folder and press F2. Now, hold down the Alt key and press 0160 on your Number Pad. Doing this will create a blank character.
Note: You need to press the numbers on the Number pad with Numlock turned ON. If there is no Number Pad on your keyboard, plug in one that has. There is no way around it.
3. Next, it's time to change the icon. Right-click on the folder and select "Properties".
4. In the Properties window, go to the "Customize" tab and click on the "Change Icon" button.
5. Now, scroll sideways until you see blank space in the window. Select one of the blank space's and click on the "Ok button.
6. In the main window, click on the "Apply" and "Ok" buttons to save changes.
That is it. You've created an invisible. Just place it in a corner and no one will find it. Keep in mind that if you change the View or Sort By option, the folder might rearrange itself between other folders or icons on your desktop. When that happens, others will see a suspicious blank space between the icons.
To take it a step further, you can actually hide the folder (right-click → properties → select "Hidden" option). That way, even if someone selects the entire desktop or rearrange the icons, the folder will not be visible. The added benefit is that even after unhiding folders and files, the folder will still be invisible. You can also use the attrib command to hide the folder.
Like I said before, only use this as a trick to show off or to play with your friends. Do ever use this to protect your important and sensitive files. For those kinds of situations, use software like BitLocker or VeraCrypt.
That is it for now. If you need any help or have something to say, comment below.
Image credit: Flickr - Daniel Lobo