Recently, my Dell laptop started acting funny. I've tried many things but couldn't identify or solve the problem. So, I chose the next obvious solution. i.e, to nuke the system and reinstall Windows 10. If you are using a Dell laptop or desktop, you can create Dell recovery USB media on Windows 10 using the Dell USB recovery tool. This allows you to quickly reinstall Windows 10 as and when needed.
Compared to other solutions, Dell USB recovery tool makes it easy to create a recovery tool and reinstall Windows on Dell laptops.
Dell provides its own first-party software called Dell USB Recovery tool to create a recovery USB drive. All you have to do is, install the software and create a dell recovery USB. Before proceeding any further, you should meet some mandatory requirements. The system requirements are as follows.
1. Make sure that you have your device's service tag ready. Generally, you can find the Dell service tag under your laptop or in the invoice.
2. Have a USB drive that is at least 16GB. Make sure you back up any and all data in the USB drive. Recovery drive creation process will format the USB drive.
3. Your system should have .Net framework 4.5.2 or higher installed. You can find the .Net framework download links here.
4. Your PC should have at least 16GB free hard disk space so that Dell USB recovery tool can download the latest Windows 10 image.
Once you confirm all these requirements, proceed to create the Dell USB recovery tool on Windows 10.
Steps to Create Dell Windows Recovery USB
1. First, download the official recovery tool from the Dell website. After downloading, install the software like any other Windows application. Once install the open the application.
2. Connect the USB Drive. As I said before, the USB drive should be at least 16GB.
3. On the main screen, select "This Computer" if you want to reinstall Windows on the current system. Select "Other Computer" if you want to reinstall Windows 10 on another Dell laptop. If you select Other Computer option, you need to enter the Service Tag of that other laptop/desktop.
In my case, I'm selecting the Other Computer option.
4. You will be now prompted to select the operating system. Here, click on the Download button/link next to Windows 10. This action will prompt the tool to download the Windows 10 Image file.
Depending on your internet connection speed, it can take some time to complete the download procedure. So, sit back and wait until the download is complete. Of crouse, you can also do other work on your computer while the tool is running in the background.
5. After the Windows 10 download is complete, select the USB drive and click on Burn OS button.
6. If you see a warning message telling you that the USB drive will be formatted, click on the Yes button to continue.
7. Dell software will now start the USB recovery drive creation process. Again, it can take some time to complete creating the Dell Windows 10 USB recovery media.
8. Once that is done, plug in the Dell USB recovery drive in your laptop and boot into it. After booting into the Dell recovery media, you can reinstall Windows 10. Keep in mind that when you reinstall Windows 10, it will erase all the data in the C drive.
That is all. It is that simple to create Dell USB recovery media on Windows 10.