Cannot preview or share HEIC format images? Here's a simple way to convert HEIC to JPG in Windows.
HEIC (High-Efficiency Image Coding) is becoming more popular nowadays. Mainly because when compared to the regular JPG, HEIC format has much better image quality and can pack more information or data in the same file size as JPG. As good as it is, HEIC is not yet widely supported by many social media platforms. In fact, even in Windows 10, you need to install a special add-on from Microsoft store to preview or open the HEIC format images. Thankfully, this add-on is installed automatically so for the most part, you don't have to worry about it.
If you want to share your HEIC format photos with a social media platform, it is better to convert them to JPG format. That way, you can guarantee that the image will be supported by all the platforms. The same is applicable to other things like avatars, profile pictures, etc.
So, without further ado, let me show you can use different methods to convert HEIC to JPG format in Windows 10.
1] Software for Converting HEIC to JPG
To convert HEIC to JPG in Windows, there is no built-in option. So, we are going to use a free third-party program called CopyTransHEIC. The best thing about this software is that it is minimal and even installs the codecs necessary to preview HEIC images. Unlike other software where you are required to modify conversion settings, CopyTransHEIC works without any of that hassle. Additionally, there is no degradation of image quality as part of the HEIC to JPG conversion.
1. First, download CopyTransHEIC and install it like any other software. As soon as you install the software, you can start opening or previewing the HEIC photos.
2. Being a simple converter, you will not find any user interface. It just adds a new option to the right-click menu. This option only appears when you right-click on a HEIC image.
3. To convert the HEIC image, find the said image, right-click on it and select the "Convert to JPEG with CopyTrans" option.
4. As soon as you select the option, CopyTrans will convert the image. After converting, it saves the JPG image in the same place as the original image.
While converting, the software doesn't degrade the image or photo quality. If you have multiple images to convert, you can select all them, right-click and select the convert option.
2] (Alternative) Online Service
If your requirement is temporary or if you don't want to install yet another software, you can use a free online web service to convert HEIC image to JPG format. The only downside is that you are uploading your image to a third-party server. Moreover, most of these online image conversion services reduce image quality by 20%. Simply put, you will only get 80% of the original image quality after converting the image. Though not noticeable, it is something you should keep in mind.
That being said, if all you need is uploading the image to a social network, you can follow this method without a second thought as most social media websites and apps will automatically compress the image anyways.
1. First, head over this web service and drag and drop your HEIC image on to the webpage. If the drag and drop did not work, you can click on the "Add Files" buttons and manually select the image from the Browse window.
2. After uploading the image, select the image format as ".jpg" and click on the "Convert Now" button.
3. As soon as you press the button, the image will be converted. After converting, you will see a Download button. Click on the button to download the converted JPG image.
That is all. It is that simple to convert HEIC to JPG. Even after converting, don't delete the original HEIC images. Always store the original images somewhere safe so that even if the converted images are of low quality or lost, you can always use the original images to make more copies.
I hope that helps. If you are stuck or need some help, comment below and I will try to help as much as possible.
If you like this article, do check out how to fix images appearing blurry in the Photos app in Windows 10.