EPUB is one of the most common file formats for Ebooks in general. If you ever need, follow the below steps to convert EPUB file to MOBI file format in Windows.
Generally, most Ebook readers support EPUB format. This makes it quite easy to read your favorite book on almost any device you want. However, there will be times when you need your Ebook in .mobi format. For example, if you want to read your already existing Ebook that is in EPUB format on your Kindle, you first need to convert EPUB to MOBI format. Otherwise, you cannot read that book on Kindle.
In case you are wondering, there are not many differences between EPUB and MOBI. It's just that EPUB is widely supported and open-source whereas MOBI is Amazon or Kindle exclusive format that comes with some DRM (Digital Rights Management) features to protect the Ebooks.
Nevertheless, follow the below steps to convert any EPUB file to MOBI format in Windows.
Steps to Convert EPUB to MOBI
To convert EPUB file to MOBI format, we are going to use a free and open-source software called Calibre. There are many free software to achieve what we are trying to do. However, we are using Calibre because it makes the conversion seamless and there are plenty of options if you want to customize the ebook. Additionally, it allows bulk EPUB to MOBI conversion. If you have multiple EPUB files to convert to MOBI then Calibre is the way to go.
1. First, head over to the official website and download the Calibre installer. Once downloaded, install it like any other Windows software.
2. After installing, launch Calibre from the start menu or by double-clicking on the desktop icon.
3. You might be prompted with an initial setup wizard. Just click on the "Next" buttons to complete the procedure.
4. Once that is done, drag and drop the EPUB file into Calibre's main window.
5. The above action will add the file to the Calibre library. You can find the Calibre library at "C:\Users\<username>\Calibre Library".
6. Now, select the file in the Calibre window and click on the "Convert Books" button on the top navigation bar.
7. In the convert window, select "MOBI" from the top-right drop-down menu. Additionally, you can also customize all sorts of things like cover image, title, blurb, page setup, contents, etc. If you want to, go through them and when you are done, click on the "Ok" button.
8. As soon as you click on the button, Calibre will start the conversion process. You can see the running job at the bottom right corner next to "Jobs". When it says zero, the conversion is done.
9. After conversion, right-click on the file and select "Open containing folder" option.
10. The above action will open the File Explorer window where you can find the converted MOBI file along with the original EPUB file.
11. If you want to, you can open the file with Calibre itself to read.
That is all. It is that simple to convert EPUB to MOBI in Windows using the free software Calibre. As I said before, Calibre is much more than a simple conversion software. It is a full-fledged ebook management tool with all sorts of tools to help you better manage and read ebooks. Just play with the software and you will not go back. Sure, Calibre can be overwhelming at first but do give it a try.
Hope that helps. If you are stuck or need some help, comment below and I will try to help as much as possible.