If your laptop password is compromised or difficult to remember, follow these steps to change the laptop password in Windows 10.
When you first set up Windows 10 on a laptop, it practically forces you to set a password and security questions for the local account. For the online account, you can sign in to Windows 10 with your Microsoft account. Generally, after setting a password you don' have to worry about changing it. However, if you think the password is compromised or difficult to type or remember, it is better to change the laptop password.
The thing is, it is not that easy to find the change password option in the Windows 10 settings app. For whatever reason, Microsoft buried the option among other settings. Moreover, depending on things like the online account and offline account, the password changing process is completely different.
To help you set up things properly, follow the steps below to change the password on a laptop running Windows 10.
If you are using an online account. i.e, a Microsoft account to log into Windows 10 then follow the first method. If you are using a local account then follow the second method.
How to Change Laptop Password with Microsoft Account
If you are logged into Windows 10 using your Microsoft account then you need to change the MS account password to change the laptop password. Here are the steps you should follow.
- First, log into the user account for which you want to change the password.
- Open the Settings window with "Win Key + I" keybinding.
- After opening the Settings window, go to the "Accounts → Your info" page.
- Click on the "Manage my Microsoft Account" link. You will find it under your profile picture on the right page.
- As soon as you click the link, the MS account settings page will open in the browser. If prompted for a password, supply it, and authenticate yourself.
- Next, click on the "More actions" button and select "Change password".
- You might be prompted to authenticate again for security reasons. Do so.
- Enter the current password, set a new password, and click "Save".
That is all. As soon as you click the save button, the Microsoft account password is changed. Since you are using MS account to log in, the Windows 10 laptop password is also changed. From now on, use the new password to log into the Windows 10 laptop.
How to Change Password on Laptop with Local Account
If you are using a regular local user account, you can change the laptop password directly from the Settings app itself. Here are the steps you should follow.
- Open Windows 10 settings with the "Win + I" key shortcut.
- In the Settings app, go to "Accounts".
- Select "Sign-in options" on the left panel.
- On the right panel, click "Password" and then click "Change".
- You will be prompted for your current password. Type the password and click "Next".
- Now, type the new password twice and a password hint.
- Click "Next".
- Click "Finish" to complete the password change procedure.
That is all. As soon as you click the Finish button, the laptop password is changed. From now on, use the new password to log into your Windows 10 laptop.
I hope that helps. If you are stuck or need some help, comment below and I will try to help as much as possible. If you want to, you can enable Windows 10 PIN protection to make logging in easy.