Starting from Windows 10, the Microsoft Edge browser is the default PDF viewer. As such, all PDF files are opened in the new Edge browser. Microsoft put a lot of work into Edge as a PDF viewer and even added some interesting features like annotation support, Cortana integration, text to speech, etc. However, if you don’t like Edge as a PDF reader, you can change the default PDF viewer on Windows 10. Maybe you want to set Acrobat as the default PDF viewer on Windows 10 or even a lightweight PDF reader like Sumatra or Foxit.
No matter the reason or the choice of application, if you are looking to set your favorite application as the default PDF viewer or want to associate PDF file type to always open with the application of your choice, here is how to change the default PDF viewer on Windows 10.
There are two ways to set the default PDF viewer on Windows 10. I will show both methods. Follow the one you like.
Method 1 of 2 (easy)
Change default PDF viewer using ‘Open with’ panel
The easiest way to change the default PDF viewer on Windows 10 is to use the Open With option. If you are wondering, the “Open with” option is available when you right-click on a file.
1. First, find the PDF file you want to open, right-click on it and select the option “Open with -> Choose another app.”
2. Now, select your favorite PDF reader from the list of available applications, select the checkbox “Always use this app to open .pdf files,” and click on the “Ok” button.
3. That is all. You’ve successfully changed the default PDF reader on Windows 10.
Note: Sometimes, you might not find the application in the “Open with” list. In those situations, scroll all the way down, click on the “More apps” link, and then click on the “Look for another app on this PC.” Now, browse to the application installation folder, select the EXE file and click on the “Open” button.
Method 2 of 2
Change default PDF reader from Settings
Alternatively, you can also change the default PDF viewer using the Windows 10 Settings app. More specifically, we will change the PDF file association from Edge to the application of your choice like Acrobat, Foxit, etc.
1. Open the settings app by pressing the keyboard shortcut “Win + I” or by clicking on the “All Settings” button in the Action Center. In the Settings app, go to the “Apps -> Default Apps” page.
2. Now, scroll all the way down and click on the “Choose default apps by file types” link.
3. This is where you can associate file types with their respective applications. So, scroll down till you find the .pdf file type.
4. Once you found the .pdf file type, click on the associated application and select a new PDF viewer from the list. In my case, I’m selecting the Sumatra PDF reader. You can choose any PDF reader like Acrobat, Foxit, etc.
5. As soon as you select an application, it is associated with the PDF file type. From now on, Windows will use that application to open the PDF files.
As you can see, changing the default PDF viewer on Windows 10 is pretty easy and straightforward. If you are stuck or need some help, comment below, and I will try to help as much as possible.
If you like this article, you might also like to know how to set a new wallpaper every day automatically on Windows 10. Do check it out.