Starting from Windows 10, Microsoft Edge browser is the default PDF viewer. So, when you try to open a PDF document on Windows 10, it will be automatically opened in the Edge browser. Microsoft put a lot of work into Edge as a PDF viewer and even added some interesting features like annotation support, Cortana integration, text to speech, etc. However, if you don't like Edge as a PDF reader then you can change default PDF viewer on Windows 10. Maybe you want to set acrobat as default PDF viewer on Windows 10 or even lightweight PDF reader like Sumatra or Foxit.
No matter the reason or the choice of application, if you are looking to set your favorite application as the default PDF viewer or want to associate PDF file type to always open with the application of your choice then here's how to change default PDF viewer on Windows 10.
There are two ways to set default PDF viewer on Windows 10. I will show both methods. Follow the one you like.
Method 1 of 2 (easy)
Change Default PDF Viewer on Windows 10 Using Open With Panel
The easiest way to change default PDF viewer on Windows 10 is to use the Open With option. In case you are wondering, the Open With option is available when you right-click on a file.
1. First, find the PDF file you want to open, right-click on it and select the option "Open with -> Choose another app".
2. Now, select your favorite PDF reader from the list of available applications, select the checkbox "Always use this app to open .pdf files" and click on the "Ok" button.
3. That is all. You've successfully changed default PDF reader on Windows 10.
Note: Sometimes, you might not find the application you are looking for in the Open With list. In those situations, scroll all the way down, click on the "More apps" link and then click on the "Look for another app on this PC". Now, browse to the application installation folder, select the EXE file and click on the "Open" button.
Method 2 of 2
Change Default PDF Reader on Windows 10 Using Settings App
Alternatively, you can also change default PDF viewer using the Settings app in Windows 10. More specifically, we will change the PDF file association from Edge to the application of your choice like Acrobat, Foxit, etc..
1. Open settings app by pressing the keyboard shortcut "Win + I" or by clicking on the "All Settings" button in the Action Center. In the Settings app, go to "Apps -> Default Apps" page.
2. Now, scroll all the way down and click on the "Choose default apps by file types" link.
3. This is where you can associate file types with their respective applications. So, scroll down till you find .pdf file type.
4. Once you found the .pdf file type, click on the associated application and select a new PDF viewer from the list. In my case, I'm selecting the Sumatra PDF reader. You can choose any PDF reader like Acrobat, Foxit, etc.
As you can see, changing default PDF viewer on Windows 10 is pretty easy and straightforward. If you like this article, you might also like to know how to set a new wallpaper every day automatically on Windows 10. Do check it out.