The default Windows 10 mail app is pretty good. Out of the box, you can easily add and remove email accounts in the Mail app, send and read emails with just a few clicks, create calendar entries, etc. Simply put, it has all the basic features you'd expect from a good email client. In the recent iteration of the Mail app, Microsoft added the ability to change the default font and font size in the Mail app.
Generally, Microsoft uses Calibri as the default font in its many applications like the Mail app and OneNote. Though the font is pretty good and gets the job done, you might want to set your favorite font as the default one. Not only the font face but you might also want to change other factors like font size, font color, font weight, etc.
For instance, I like the Microsoft Segoe UI font and Google's Robot font. So, as much as possible, I modify the font settings of most of my daily used applications like OneNote and Word to use those fonts. You can do that same thing with the Mail app by modifying a couple of settings.
Previously, you can only customize the font settings while you are composing an email. That is, font settings are only available on per email basis. But that changed with the latest Mail app update. Let me show you how to set the Mail app's default font and font size on Windows 10.
Change Default Font Face and Font Size in Mail App
Microsoft made it quite easy to change the default font and font size of the Mail app. In fact, all it takes is just two clicks.
- Open the Start Menu.
- Search for the Mail app.
- Click on the Mail app to open it.
- One the left bottom corner, click on the "Settings" icon (gear icon).
- The options panel will open from the right side. Select the "Default Font" option.
- The Default Font window will open. Here, select the account for which you want to set the default font from the dropdown menu under "Select an account and customize your default font" section.
- If you want to apply the default font to all the accounts in the Mail app then select the checkbox "Apply to all accounts".
- Next, select the font, font size and other font styles from the options under the "Reset" button.
- Finally, hit the "Save" button.
That is all. It is that simple to change the default font and font size in the Windows 10 Mail app.
To reset the default font settings in the Mail app, follow the above procedure up to Step 5. Next, click on the "Reset" button in the Default Font window. This action will reset the Mail app font settings to its default state. Don't forget to hit the "Save" button to apply and save the modifications you just made.
If you like this article, do check out how to backup and restore start menu layout on Windows 10 and how to pin a folder to the taskbar on Windows 10.