You can now install apps in another drive other than the C drive. Here’s how to change where Windows 11 installs new apps.
In Windows 11, every new application you try to install, is by default, installed in the C drive. Generally, this is not a bad thing. However, what if you are running out of space or want to keep the C drive clean? In that case, you must change where the apps are installed in Windows 11.
Since Windows 10, Microsoft has an option that allows you to install a Store app in a separate drive other than the C drive. With just a few clicks, you can instruct Windows 11 to install apps on a different drive other than the main drive. i.e., the C drive.
Other than new apps, you can also save your documents, music, pictures, videos, and maps in a separate drive.
It only takes a few clicks in the Settings app to get started.
So, without further ado, let me show you how to change where Windows 11 installs new apps.
Table of contents:
Important note: The new drive you want to use should be in the NTFS file system format.
Change where new apps are installed
To install apps in a separate drive, you must configure the “Where new content is saved” option in the Windows 11 Storage settings. Let me show you how.
- Launch “Settings” with “Win + I.”
- Click “System” on the sidebar.
- Go to the “Storage” page.
- Expand the “Advanced storage settings” section.
- Click on the “Where new content is saved” option.
- Select the drive of your choice from the “New apps will save to” dropdown.
- (Optional) modify the same for documents, music, photos & videos, movies & TV, and maps.
- Press the “Apply” button.
- Settings are saved automatically.
- Close the Settings app.
- With that, you changed where new apps are installed in Windows 11.
Steps with more details:
As always, use the “Start key + I” keyboard shortcut to launch the Windows 11 Settings app. You may search for the same in the Start menu.
After opening the Settings app, go to the “System > Storage” page. As the name implies, this page lists all the storage options. Here, find and expand the “Advanced storage settings” section.
Find and click the “Where new content is saved” option from this section.
Now, select the drive where you want to install new applications from the “New apps will save to” dropdown menu. Click the “Apply” button to apply the setting.
You can do the same thing with documents, music, photos & videos, movies & TV, and maps.
The settings are automatically saved. You can safely close the Settings app.
From now on, any new app you install from the Microsoft Store will be installed in the new drive.
Move installed apps from C drive to another drive
Using the Settings app, you can move already installed apps from the C drive to another drive. Let me show you how to do it.
- Open Windows 11 Settings.
- Click on “Apps” on the sidebar.
- Go to the “Apps & features” page.
- Click the “More options” icon next to the application.
- Click the “Move” button.
- Select a drive from the dropdown.
- Press the “Move” button.
- Click “Yes” if prompted.
- With that, the app is moved to the new drive.
Important note: Not every app or application supports moving from the main drive to another drive after it is installed.
That is all. It is that simple to change the default install location in Windows 11.
I hope this simple and easy Windows how-to guide helped you.
If you are stuck or need some help, send an email, and I will try to help as much as possible.