On Windows, the clock generally appears bottom right corner of the taskbar. Windows 10 lets you use both 24-hour and 12-hour time formats. Compared to the 12-hour time format, 24-hour time format can be a bit confusing for some users. If your system time is in 24-hour format, you can easily change the 24-hour time to the 12-hour time format with just a few clicks. Let me show you how.
Before proceeding, you should know that Windows uses something called “Short time” and “Long time” to show the time. The “short time” appears on the taskbar to the bottom right side. The “long time” appears in the calendar flyout that appears when you click on the taskbar clock. Since Windows treats them as two seperate entities, you can configure them separately. For instance, you can show 12-hour time on the taskbar and 24-hour time in the calendar flyout menu.
Without further ado, let me show you how to change 24-hour time to 12-hour time in Windows 10.
Use Settings App to Change 24 Hour Time to 12 Hour Time
The Settings app makes it quite easy to change the time format on Windows 10. All you have to do is select the 12-hour time format from a drop-down menu and you are good to go. No needed to manually save changes.
- Press Win + I to open the Settings app.
- Go to “Time and Language” page.
- Go to “Region” page within the Time and Language page.
- On the right-panel, scroll down and click on the “Change Date Formats” link.
- Select the 12-hour format time from the drop-down menu under “Short time“.
- Next, select the 12-hour format time from the drop-down menu under “Long time“.
That is all, you will instantly see 12-hour time format in the taskbar.
When you can click on the taskbar clock, you will see that the long time is also changed to 12-hour format.
Use Control Panel to Change 24 Hour Clock to 12 Hour Clock
Alternatively, you can also use the good only control panel to change the time format from 24-hours to 12-hours. The good thing about this method is that along with Windows 10, it works on both Windows 7 and Windows 8 too. So, if you like to use the Control Panel, follow this method.
- Open the “Start Menu“.
- Search for “Control Panel” and open it.
- Select “Large Icons” from the top-left corner.
- In the Control Panel, find the “Region” option and click on it.
- In the Region window, select
h:mm ttfrom the “Short time” drop-down menu.
h:mm:ss ttfrom the drop-down menu next to “Long time” option.
- Click on the “Apply” and “Ok” button to save changes.
That is all. The changes are saved instantly. You can see the changes reflect on the taskbar and in the time and date flyout that appears when you click on the taskbar clock.
As you can see, it is rather easy to change the time format from 24-hour to 12-hours on Windows 10 using the Settings app or the Control Panel.
If you like this article, you might also like how to make taskbar fully (100%) transparent Windows 10 and how to pin folders to the taskbar on Windows 10.