In Windows 10, task scheduler is one of the most useful tools. In fact, it is one of my favorite. Using task scheduler, you can quickly and efficiently create automated tasks with ease. If you've already created some tasks, follow these steps to backup task scheduler tasks in Windows 10.
For example, I have over ten different schedule tasks for various different tasks like launching programs with a delay at startup, custom configuration tasks, etc. When I want to reinstall Windows or make the same tasks in another computer, like my desktop, I generally export task scheduler items and import them as needed. This eliminates the need to manually create the task each and every time.
Backup Task Scheduler Items/Tasks
To backup a Task Scheduler item, you have to export it. It's pretty easy. Just follow the steps as is and you should be good.
1. Open Task Scheduler by searching for "task scheduler" in the start menu.
2. The above action will open the task scheduler. By default, all the tasks are stored in the "Task Scheduler Library" folder appearing on the left panel. Click on it to see all the tasks.
3. From the middle panel, find the task you want to backup, select it and click on the "Export" option appearing under the "Selected item" section on the right panel.
4. As soon as you click on the option, you will be asked to choose a location to save the backup file. So, browse to the folder where you would like to save the file, name it, and click on the "Save" button.
5. That is it. You've successfully backed up the scheduled task. If you go to the folder, you will the exported scheduled task as an XML file.
If you are so inclined, you even open the file with a text editor or code editor and tweak settings. Of course, only do this if you know what you are doing.
Restore or Import Task Scheduler Items
Just as you can backup a task in task scheduler, you can also import a task to restore it.
1. First, open task scheduler by searching for it in the start menu.
2. Next, select the "Task Scheduler Library" and click on the "Import Task" option appearing on the right panel.
3. The above action will open a new window. Here, go to where you've stored the task scheduler file, select it and click on the "Open" button.
4. As soon as you click on the Open button, the task scheduler shows you the properties of the task you just selected. Verify the task and its settings and click on the "Ok" button.
5. That is it. You've successfully restored or imported the task in the task scheduler. To check if the task can actually run, right-click on the imported task and select the "Run" option. If the task runs, everything should be fine.
That is all. It is that simple to export and import a task in the task scheduler. If you need any help, comment below and I will try to help as much as possible.