The default Windows 10 Hero wallpaper is really good. You can access the high quality (4K) Windows 10 Hero wallpaper from
C:\Windows\Web\4K\Wallpaper\Windows folder. Or, just download it from here. Talking about the Hero wallpaper, Microsoft made a great behind the scenes video showing how they actually created the wallpaper and posted it on YouTube. But for whatever reason, I can no longer find the video.
As good as it is, seeing the same default wallpaper each and every day can get tiring. This is especially true if you are like me who tries the keep the desktop minimal, clutter-free, and fresh. Generally, to change the wallpaper on Windows, you have to manually download it, right-click on the image, and select "Set as Wallpaper." Alternatively, you can also switch between the few included default wallpapers by opening the Settings app and navigating to "Personalization -> Background". If needed, you can rotate between default wallpapers by selecting the "Slideshow" option.
Though not hard, the above process is a bit tedious if you want a new wallpaper every day. The good news is, you can automate the process using free apps. Let me show you how to automatically change desktop wallpaper on Windows 10. I've also added detailed steps on how to change wallpaper every day on Windows 7 and Windows 8. Use the jump links below to navigate quickly.
- Change wallpaper everyday automatically in Windows 10
- Change wallpaper everyday automatically in Windows 7 and 8 (works on Windows 10 too)
Automatically Change Wallpaper Everyday in Windows 10
Since Windows 10 has no built-in options to change wallpaper every day, we are going to use Dynamic Theme, a free app from Microsoft Store. This free app automatically downloads a new Bing wallpaper every day and sets it as your desktop and lock screen wallpaper.
1. Download and install Dynamic Theme from Microsoft Store.
2. After installing, open it by searching for "Dynamic Theme" in the Start Menu.
3. In the app, navigate to "Background" on the right panel, select "Bing" from the drop-down menu and select "Fill" from the "Choose to fit" drop-down menu. All changes are saved instantly, there is no Save button. If you have multiple devices, toggle the button to "On" under Synchronization.
Note: If the wallpaper didn't change instantly, click on the "Update" button.
4. You can configure the lock screen wallpaper in the same manner. Just go to the "Lock screen" on the left panel.
Save Bing Wallpapers to a Folder
5. You can save Bing images to a folder. To do that, go to "Daily Bing Image" and toggle the button to "On" under Autosave section. The default save location is the Pictures folders.
6. In the same page, you can choose a specific regional culture to get daily Bing images. All you have to do is, select a specific region from the drop-down menu under the "Source" section. In my case, I choose "Current Culture" so that I get wallpapers from all available cultures.
That is it. From now on, Dynamic Theme will automatically set a new wallpaper every day in Windows 10.
I also found one more awesome app called Splash! for Windows 10 users. Splash! downloads gorgeous stock images from Unsplash and sets them as your desktop wallpaper. Give it a try too.
Change Desktop Wallpaper Everyday on Windows 7 and 8
If you are using Windows 7 or 8, you can use free apps like Splashy or Artpip. Both apps are free, has minimal, modern, and easy to use interface. Of course, both these apps can also be used by Windows 10.
Just like Splash!, Splashy uses Unsplash stock images for wallpapers.
Artpip sets beautiful fine art and photography as desktop wallpaper. Some features like Favorites are only available for paid users.
That is it for now. Comment below and share your thoughts and experiences about using Dynamic Theme, Splash!, Artpip, and Splashy.